Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

little incident that happened today

+3
united
celticpitbulls
pitties rule
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

little incident that happened today Empty little incident that happened today

Post by pitties rule Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:28 pm

ok so soze and shelby where asleep on the floor and tadg was trying to get passed them. he stood on shelby's paw by accident and she jumped up to tadg's face. she didnt bite him but nose butted his forehead. the reason why i am posting this is because if we hadnt have been there to stop it what would have happened. i dont blame shelby coz she got a fight but at the same time it cant happen again. i told her she was bold and put her into another room. she knew she had done something wrong. once tadg settled i brought him into her and she came over and licked him, i wanted them to be cool with each other before i left.

moral of the story NEVER EVER LEAVE YOUR CHILD UNSUPERVISED WITH A DOG, ANY DOG.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

little incident that happened today Empty Re: little incident that happened today

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:03 pm

id say she just got the fright of her life. being asleep id say it was just a reaction thankfully that didn't turn badly, i suppose its just like us if woke up out of a sleep accidentally being hurt in the process, fair play and thanks for sharing im glad everything is OK and i doubt shelby meant any harm once she copped onto what was after happening.

I know we say we really need to watch our dogs around our children also for 1 split second a little kid can sometimes not understand they are making a move that could cause this kind of reaction.

well done hun hope you all didn't get to much of a fright. pale
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

little incident that happened today Empty Re: little incident that happened today

Post by pitties rule Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:07 pm

ah i know thats why i dont blame her, i have her up in mine for a few days but she started giving tadg a small warning growl when he went to rub her a few times so ill have to keep a close eye and work on building the bond before all this happened.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 am

fair play, you'll know your self how to sort this 1 out you have your head well screwed on when it comes to these things, hope everything works out soon for you all so you can get back to normal. Wink
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by united Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:22 am

pitties rule wrote:ah i know thats why i dont blame her, i have her up in mine for a few days but she started giving tadg a small warning growl when he went to rub her a few times so ill have to keep a close eye and work on building the bond before all this happened.

Any of mine growled at mine or anyone else's kid's for what ever reason then it'll PTS straight away, no excuse's.

united

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:53 am

dogs growl for many different reasons. even when they are getting a rub and enjoying it, some give a growl and there is no harm meant by it. it depends on the growl as it is a way of communicating. if i thought she was aggressive in any way she would not be allowed near the kids.

how would you feel if you where woken up with someone standing on you, coz id run a muc. he hurt her and she was just telling him.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 am

Any of mine growled at mine or anyone else's kid's for what ever reason then it'll PTS straight away, no excuse's.

United You are welcome to our forum and have finally posted after 6 months of joining. While you may want to take the easy way out and dispose of a dog for voicing its objections to a situation it is not better to try and find a solution to this problem. We are all aware of how this type of behaviour can escalate but with proper supervision and the correct handling I believe this can be sorted. You must surly allow a dog to give a warning and it is up to us to teach our children how to act accordingly. We have said time and time again that under NO circumstances any breed of dog should be left unsupervised in the company of children. Dog’s communication skills are very similar to ours and it is up to all responsible owners to be aware of what the dog is saying or feeling in certain situations. Because my children have all grown up it is quite obvious that my dogs are wary of little people and especially ones that crawl on the floor. I can fully understand how certain dogs become uneasy when there are children in their space or on this occasion being woken up by a toddler bumping into her, I would probably of acted the same way but our ability for condonation is a quality that some (not all) of us posses. You have been a member since July and I am sure you are aware of the dedication and passion this lady has for her children and her dogs every possible solution will be covered and I am in no doubt this will be resolved.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Even after all the training do you think the dog would forget what has happened?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:42 pm

A very prominant dog phycologist has always maintained dogs live in the now. What dogs become wary of is small children not what they have done. I believe this is the case so therefore it should be possible to make a dog become relaxed when young kids are around them. You cannot expect dogs to do this on thier own we humans have to meet them half way no matter what age we are. With the right supervision and a little patience both dog and child should be best buddies. As I have said before you cant expect this to happen over night it all takes time and commitment. And no matter how well behaved your doggie is under no circumstance should they be left un-supervised with young children.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:48 pm

How young is young? In your opinion?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:55 pm

harry i think it would be a different story if the dog just had growled at the child for no reason at all, as was told in the story the dog was asleep and the little child accidentally stood on the dogs tail, im sure the dog has forgotten about it at this stage, its not a case of training its more a case of watching dog and child very carefully and getting both involved in doing something positive together.

like any1 or anything if this had of happened to me you or any dog/breed the same reaction would of happened in this kind of situation, i know criz and she is well able take control of this and understands how to in a safe manner for both dog and child.

i was listening to fm 104 the other day and 1 of them was talking about the restricted breeds list, he said that some dogs just cant be trusted, a guy came on to say that his dog was fab around every1 children dogs etc, so the lad with the red hair i dont know his name on that show said i just wouldn't trust them and what if a child went over and pulled the dogs tail or kicked the dog in the chest?? well i felt like ringing in and asking him what would his reaction be if this was to happen to him.
what im trying to say is that we should take note of why these things happen and prevent it by teaching our children not to do these things or of course there will be some kind of reaction weather it be human or dog this happens to.

Last edited by celticpitbulls on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:00 pm

I cant really be specific because different circumstances dictate different ages. for example if a dog comes into contact with a toddler and gets his ears pulled or even awoken from a deep sleep by one falling on him then you would expect the dog to be wary of all toddlers. Just as if a dog is abused every day by an adult he is going to be wary of all people. It is just a case of re-conditioning the dog to think that all toodlers are good and are nice to be around providing they have respect for the dog.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by united Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:04 pm

These dog's are far to powerful to allow any flaw's in temerament to florish. If it had of just yelped and/or run away like most bulldog's would, then fair enough but to show any aggresive sign's toward's a child especially from it's own family, is crossing the line IMO startled or not.

Check the record, I don't know of dog that has Killed a child around the world, that hadn't show owner sign's before hand that it could be like that. For the most part the owner's looked for and made excuses for their dog's, which is why they lived to do what they did. If people stopped making excuse's then most accident's that make headline's around the world might not happen.

I've posted before but the thread's where I posted has been deleted. Why you tell me.

united

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm

how dare you say im making excuses for my dog. if you read my post i also said it cannot happen again. i would never put my children in any danger. so dont worry you will never ever read about my children in the news. its the first time it ever happened so yes i will give her a second chance, unlike urself to take the easy way out and rather deal with the problem put them to sleep. shame on you.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 pm

united wrote:

Check the record, I don't know of dog that has Killed a child around the world, that hadn't show owner sign's before hand that it could be like that. For the most part the owner's looked for and made excuses for their dog's, which is why they lived to do what they did. If people stopped making excuse's then most accident's that make headline's around the world might not happen
yes i agree with you 100% that no dog attack is just out of the blue and that there is always a sign, but this is the problem the owners NEVER recognize the signs, most children that have being attacked have being left unsupervised with a dog and who's to know what happened while these children and dogs were left alone?
so all that is heard is the attack and never what had provoked it, again its not the children or the dogs its down to the parents and owner to understand the importance of having both living in a home, look at the amount of people around the world that have children and dogs living in harmony together with out any problems? if these dogs where so bad im sure we would be reading story's like this every day in the news, i think the lady that posted this story is being very responsible by posting this a giving the information as to what had happened in her home and most importantly why it happened.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 am

Im sorry but united it almost seems to me your just here to piss people off because its obvious everybody on here loves dogs especially the pitbull and i also think that everybody on here has 10 times more sense than you when it comes to dog behaviour.
My boyfriends collie bit one of his little cousins on the lip before, he was playing with her and when nobody was looking he tried to climb on her back and hurt her and she swung round and nipped him. They didnt put her down because it wasnt her fault they were not watching them and the kid then hurt her, it was a once off and him and the dog were and are still fine with one another.
People like your shouldnt be able to own dogs because you obviously dont have a clue about them

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:30 am

i think the main thing here we need to get out there is that number 1 a child can not be replaced and number 2 is that all attacks are preventable where children and dogs are concerned.
we all are aware that dogs regardless of their breed can attack if left in a situation with a child that knows no different or how to behave around a dog. we must understand that a young child is innocent just like the dog and if we allow both together with out being supervised than most likely something can happen, im not just a nutty mad dog lover i am also a parent and nobody likes to hear these story's when they happen, the parents didn't mean for it to happen nor did the innocent child or dog that has maybe been hurt and has had no other understanding but to react with a bite.

if you notice its mostly young children that become victims of these horrific story's we hear so of course its what the child has done unknowing that it can cause this reaction, so i think the bottom line is that we must never leave a child with any dog unsupervised until they are of age to understand that they cant jump on their backs, they cant poke them in the eyes etc because in most of the time this is the case along with people bringing children to friends homes or bringing dogs into their homes that have never being around children, this is the message we need to get out there, not that certain dogs are just dangerous because thats just not true.

this tread originally was about a complete accident where a child stood on a sleeping dogs tail, it wasn't purposely done and the childs mother was there thankfully and nothing happened but at least she was aware as she was supervising and this is where extra measures can be taking as the ordeal was witnessed, i think the dog must have got woke up with a sharp pain and just let a growl because the dog didnt even know were this had come from being startled out of a sleep. keeping an eye on the dogs behavior around the child is all that needs to be done to make sure the dog has not developed an issue with the child because of it, as far as i know all is back to normal and shelby is fine with the little man and also criz is no fool and never leaves the child around the dogs at any giving time.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:30 am

RANT RANT RANT bounce lol!
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 am

Well said Lilly, its true whats happening around dogs and children. Its becoming more commin too. Some dogs feel alot more pain than others, the Collie is a fine example. Their pain threshold is very low, so this could play a major factor into attacks especially on children. Lilly mentioned some important points involving children and dogs.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike7 Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Hello,
I have 5 kids ageed from 3 to 11yo. They were brought up with a Rottweiler for 10 years until he died. Now we have Arthur, the Big Staffy.I leave them alone in one room whilst I am in another. I doubt if any or at least many parents can say that they never leave their dog unattended with kids? However, it would seem that the dog jumped up and 'put the heid' on the child by accident? If so fair enough, totally unintentional. But if the dog growled in an angry way, then I would think that the dog needs to be re-educated as to his place in the family pack. I would start by getting the young child to feed the dog. The dog will quickly realise his place if taking orders from the wee one, regardless of age. I would not, in this instance leave them unattended until 'pack order' is fully restored.
A pitbull should be very tolerant of people, especially family if suitably trained. Can't say for certain as I don't have one. I have a Big Staffy.
cheers,Mike
Mike7
Mike7

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm

i never leave my one yr old alone but i can my 11 yr old coz she is well able for them. yeah the head butt was her just jumping up. when she growled it was grrr to say she wasnt happy it happened not grrrrrrrrrrrrrr bark bark on a mad one. i know how to handle the sitution, that why she will get a second chance. i would never leave the lil fella unattended regardless of breed.
i agree she needs to be re-trained so this does not happen again. it will take some time coz she doesnt live with me but ill put the time in because they had an amazing bond before it happened.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:48 am

if any1 will fix it you will, i think this tread went into all different types of situations and mostly about parents that really have not much knowledge about having children and dogs living together, i know you and see how much work you put into both your kids and your dogs and how responsible you have been even teaching your little 1 about respect etc, fair play to you for sharing this story because its from other peoples experience that we gain knowledge. Wink
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:51 pm

thanks lil that means alot.... i am in no way ashamed to post treads like this after all thats wot the forum is here for. as ya said lil thru other people experiences that we gain knowledge.

pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Charisma, Thats what being a responsible owner is all about we have to share our experiences so we and others can learn. You are so right when you say this is what this forum is all about it is a platform for all us to gain knowledge and advice from those who know. I know you will sort this out and be a great asset to someone in the future if this happens to someone else. J
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 pm

ok just an update...... everything is back to normal and she is over sniffing and kissing him. he is running around after her pissing himself laughing.
its like it never happened and there best buds again.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next