Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letter to Minister of the Environment Re: Muzzles

+4
eamo s
YENALED
Harry
Admin
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Letter to Minister of the Environment Re: Muzzles Empty Letter to Minister of the Environment Re: Muzzles

Post by Admin Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:59 pm

This was sent via email yesterday on behalf of the association.

A Chara,

I am writing on behalf of Irelands Pit Bull Terrier Association whose main objectives are to promote responsible dog ownership. We are a non-profit group of enthusiasts who have a genuine passion for dogs in particular the Pit Bull Terrier. Since the Association was established a couple of years ago it has been a priority of ours to promote responsible ownership and educate people in the hope of preventing accidents.
We are an organisation of 650+ members and from time to time we are challenged on the laws regarding muzzling restricted breeds. We are conversant with the conditions as stated in the Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 but are unaware of any provisions made regarding a puppy under the age of six months. I understand the importance of adhering to these regulations if dogs’ i.e. restricted breeds are to be accepted in society, but am finding it very hard to explain to owners that a 12 week old puppy has to be muzzled. The Law as written in the statute book does not indicate age therefore all restricted breeds when out in public have to be muzzled from Birth. Could you please clear this up and verify that it is indeed the case.
Sincerely
Julie Delaney
Admin IPBTA
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Letter to Minister of the Environment Re: Muzzles Empty Re: Letter to Minister of the Environment Re: Muzzles

Post by Harry Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Conversant? WTF? lol

Good to see people making an effort tho ;-)
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Letter to Minister of the Environment Re: Muzzles Empty Re: Letter to Minister of the Environment Re: Muzzles

Post by YENALED Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Harry wrote:Conversant? WTF? lol

ah come on now you have looked that one up....... plain and simple we know and understand lol
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 pm

I cant wait to see what the reply you get, should be interesting. As its important to clear this up for once and for all.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:49 pm

brilliant, then at least we kno for sure...... well thats if ya even get a reply.... hahaha
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by clubby Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 pm

wouldnt it be soo ridiculess if its from birth , you would be buying a new muzzle on a monthly bases at the rate they grow , altho Ruby will be getting one if she keeps bringing in tree bark from the garden and shredding it everywhere .
clubby
clubby

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:06 pm

lol! lol!

how could ya do that to a pup its cruel........ i dont think they even make them that small
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 pm

I have something sly to say, but I'm not going to lol... I'd only get in trouble Razz
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm

prob best to keep it to yourself then.......lol
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:18 pm

xxxxxxxx

Last edited by RickyB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 pm

RickyB wrote:
YENALED1 wrote:

ah come on now you have looked that one up....... plain and simple we know and understand lol

I bet the Minister of the enviroment had to look it up...R

lol! lol! lol!
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 pm

pitties rule wrote:brilliant, then at least we kno for sure...... well thats if ya even get a reply.... hahaha
I can guarantee a reply if not to this letter defo the next or the next or even the next lol lol
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:24 pm

YENALED1 wrote:
pitties rule wrote:brilliant, then at least we kno for sure...... well thats if ya even get a reply.... hahaha
I can guarantee a reply if not to this letter defo the next or the next or even the next lol lol

haha good on ya
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Ricky at this point of his political career I hope he has time to read it. He is probably spending alot of time clearing his desk and buying going away presents for his staff. Lol lol.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm

It prob isn't the best time, seeing as he's probably busy, what with the whole election thing and all. You'll probably have to send it to whoever replaces him in a month or so when things have settled down.

Also, I think we should do one about Lissenhaul and their not accepting APBT's!
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm

God Damnit I was just beaten to that lol!
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Will put something together during next week. Give me a reminder this day week sometimes I forget
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 am

We recieved an email today from Eddie Kiernan Private Secretary to Mr.Éamon Ó Cuív ,T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government. Will keep you posted of all future developments.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 pm

great cant wait to hear this reply Wink
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 pm

RickyB wrote:
YENALED1 wrote:

I bet the Minister of the enviroment had to look it up...R

yeah it does seem that when a question is asked about restricted breeds they dont seem to know much, there has being a lot of talk about what a ban dog is, to be honest im not to sure ether as there is lots of opinions as to what it is, a ban dog is a breed that's ban i suppose but i cant understand what breed or breeds they are talking about when the call an actual breed a ban dog.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:45 pm

It's more of a 'type' like a Lurcher can be a cross of Bull with Sighthound or Sighthound X Collie etc. there's many different variations, Bandog's are usually APBT X Mastiff, it can be other things to, Rott X Pit X Mastiff = Guard dog extrodenaire Razz
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Thu May 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Admin wrote:This was sent via email yesterday on behalf of the association.

A Chara,

I am writing on behalf of Irelands Pit Bull Terrier Association whose main objectives are to promote responsible dog ownership. We are a non-profit group of enthusiasts who have a genuine passion for dogs in particular the Pit Bull Terrier. Since the Association was established a couple of years ago it has been a priority of ours to promote responsible ownership and educate people in the hope of preventing accidents.
We are an organisation of 650+ members and from time to time we are challenged on the laws regarding muzzling restricted breeds. We are conversant with the conditions as stated in the Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 but are unaware of any provisions made regarding a puppy under the age of six months. I understand the importance of adhering to these regulations if dogs’ i.e. restricted breeds are to be accepted in society, but am finding it very hard to explain to owners that a 12 week old puppy has to be muzzled. The Law as written in the statute book does not indicate age therefore all restricted breeds when out in public have to be muzzled from Birth. Could you please clear this up and verify that it is indeed the case.
Sincerely
Julie Delaney
Admin IPBTA

Well here is the reply.......and your not going to like it.

Dear Ms. Delaney,

I wish to refer to your email of the 23rd of February regarding the muzzling of young Pit Bull terriers.

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 place controls on 10 breeds of dogs, including the Pit Bull terrier. The controls, which must be observed when the dog is in a public place, require that these dogs, or types and crosses of must be kept on a strong short lead [up to 2 metres in length] by a person over 16 years of age who is capable of controlling them and that they are securely muzzled. It is correct to state that a minimum age is not specified for the breeds.

The breeds of dog which to which these requirements apply were selected on the basis of recommendations in respect of the potential of those breeds and the interests of public safety.

There are no plans at present to relax the requirements in respect of any of the breeds listed in the regulations

Yours sincerely,

Eddie Kiernan,

Private Secretary

So all think carefully when your taking your 8 week old puppy to the vets for its injections, if your in a public place and if you have NO muzzle on the pup your breaking the law, how rediculous does that sound. I have a few more questions to put to Mr Kiernan so part 2 will be on its way next week. If anybody has any questions or ideas to put to the Minister let me know.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu May 19, 2011 8:08 pm

There are no plans at present to relax the requirements in respect of any of the breeds listed in the regulations

this is the only part they made clear, coz i dont see anything about wot age to muzzle or am i going blind.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu May 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Did you see what Jules wrote? Lol.. It says once it's in public it should be muzzled Surprised unless it's a Lab X...
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2011 8:34 pm

I think this is gas, dobermans, akita's & many more breeds are on the list but i can honestly say I have never seen any other breed (except a staff or dogs with this association) wearing muzzles on walks! Where I walk shadow theres always parkies driving around & he always pulls up next to me to check shadow has a muzzle on. I find it funny that its ok for him to badger me when my dog is on a lead & muzzled but he says nothing to the people who also own dogs on this list, that have them running around off leash & not muzzled scratch where does it say that the rules of these dog laws only apply to pitbulls? I would love for you to bring something up about this. Oh & the park i walk in also has signs everywhere saying it is against the law for them to have their dogs at large, but still the parky lets everybody (except me) have their dogs running of lead? I have said it to him before about badgering me but allowing everybody else to brake the law & he just laughs at me & drives off

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next