Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

when to get a bitch spayed

5 posters

Go down

when to get a bitch spayed  Empty when to get a bitch spayed

Post by john86 Fri May 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi i was wondering when is the best time to get a bitch spayed i have a 4month old pup
john86
john86

Back to top Go down

when to get a bitch spayed  Empty Re: when to get a bitch spayed

Post by Harry Fri May 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Around 12-18 months I think.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri May 06, 2011 3:04 pm

The ISPCA recommend around 6/7 months. Some people prefer to wait until they are over a year old but your pup will have a season so you have to be careful she doesnt get caught.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by clubby Fri May 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Im gonna leave Ruby till she has a 1 heat , she must be 6months now , altho theres no visible signes of it yet Fellow has been trying to hump her when their playing here in the evening god help him Laughing
clubby
clubby

Back to top Go down

Post by john86 Fri May 06, 2011 5:21 pm

I have a male staffy x but he got his nuts taken off. Im thinking it might calm her down she is very good in the house but once she is out playing with my dog she keeps biting him which is getting a bit worrying
john86
john86

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri May 06, 2011 5:45 pm

I am not sure if spaying your bitch will alter her behaviour you have to step in now and try and put a stop to her biting your other dog. I dont think there are any benefits to be gained by letting a bitch have a season before she is spayed so IMO I would talk to your vet when she reaches 6 months old. Although the male is castrated if your bitch has a season it could still cause him to become anxious although he can do nothing about it.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john86 Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 pm

I am stepping in she only does it when he is running after a stick or ball she just runs after him and bites im worried he will react and hurt her. Apart from that she is constanly licking him and following him everywhere they get on. Its like something clicks in her head when he runs she is good with other goods aswell.
john86
john86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 5:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
have a look at that link it gives good info on spaying pro's and con's , but it seems to agree with the last post that for a bitch if your gonna get it done anyway earlier is better so after 6 months is spot on

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri May 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Sounds like she is just getting a little to eager when they are playing and it is just a puppy thing. I suppose all you can do is keep a close eye and watch for signs of your staffie that he has had enough. That used to happen in our house all the time when the toys were brought out and even to this day I have to be very careful every dog has something to play with.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Sat May 07, 2011 9:57 am

i got daisy done at 9months and i havent looked back. no dogs following us on a walk or whinging to get at her.
my lot play very rough with each other so i have to keep an eye but there getting so used to me shouting HAY HAY HAY and they stop.
shelby is living with me now so ive had abit of trouble the last few weeks. the two bitches ganging up on vito but he told them off and looks like it worked too. i let them sort it out themselves but i still watch and if i think its going to far i step in and break it up.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 07, 2011 10:43 am

ah sure when cindy and d-vo be playing cindy gets too much after a while for him cos she is lighter and faster and sometimes we would hav to step in and calm things down if she is trying to force him to play by niping him and barking in his face. but its still only dogs playing around and its best to just watch them and they will sort things out themselves usually

Back to top Go down

Post by john86 Sat May 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone Toto is starting to put her in her place now hopefully he doesn't hurt her but she needs it i think
john86
john86

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 pm

how are your two getting on?
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by john86 Thu May 12, 2011 3:55 pm

They get on like a house on fire 99percent of the time she just bikes him when he is running full speed for some reason she is not doin it as much now. He is starting to put her in her place a bit. Goin on holidays Sunday they are goin to kennels for a week socailisimg with other dogs for the week will do her world of good
john86
john86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum