Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why the APBT???

+3
YENALED
efulton
Philly Mc00
7 posters

Go down

Why the APBT??? Empty Why the APBT???

Post by Philly Mc00 Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:10 pm

I got chatting with one of the lads at yesterdays training day and we were saying how we came about getting involved with the breed, he told me how the breed came to him when he was quite young and I thought it was very interesting and he will probably go into more detail himself on this tread but I'll leave that to him. I on the other hand went looking for the breed.

When I was about 15 my mates brother was living in New York and he sent home pics of his dog which was an old family red nose (I still have the picture somewhere and I'll dig it out and pop it up) I thought it was one of the nicest dogs I'd seen and I started looking more and more into the breed and as I learned the history and all the unwarranted rep around these dogs my fascination began and I am learning more and more every day. I have had experience with plenty of breeds but none have captured me the way the apbt has.

The conversation I had with the person up in the field got me thinking why other people have been drawn towards this breed?
Philly Mc00
Philly Mc00

https://www.facebook.com/phillymcrory

Back to top Go down

Why the APBT??? Empty Re: Why the APBT???

Post by efulton Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Like the person your talking about the breed came to me a few years ago. Im a big dog lover but I will admit I had worries about pits because of all the stories you hear but when we heard about Shadow and decided to help I fell in love with her personality... I have never met a dog so willing to please and so loyal! The plan was to rehome Shadow but we all fell for her and she's been with us since.... Now Im mad about the history of the breed and hate to see this breed mistreated or owned by idiots that just want to look hard so they get a pitbull as a 'status dog'

Last edited by efulton on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
efulton
efulton

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Well I have grown up with dogs all shapes and sizes the closest to the APBT would have been a little staff names Jasper (I was about 6 and he was my minder) lol. The different personalities fasinated me and I suppose I was always aware that if you listened hard enough you could hear the dogs talk. It wasnt untill all the bad press started to hit the news about the APBT that something in me wanted to know more about these dogs and why they had become one of the most feared breeds. I started to read up on the breed and then a fella called Cesar Millan came into my life and I saw there was a completely different picture than what we had all been led to believe. About 3 years ago I found I had the time to maybe take on one of these dogs but got a lot of bad vibes and comments from family and friends. One family member said they would never speak to me again if I got one of those dogs lol lol. That was all I needed to get the ball rolling and it made me even more determined to prove that I could have a APBT as a family pet. The rest is history he's here and he is here to stay. Hank was every bit the challenge I thought he would be and more but I set out to have a family pet and that is what I have. You all know these dogs come with extras and everyday can be a new challenge but thats what I thrive on. If you keep APBT's life is never boring and you will always get plenty of excerise.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by staceyol Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:43 pm

I was very fortunate to be raised alongside one of the most beautiful and loyal APBT called Bonnie, a fawn red nose bitch with a white chest. I will put up a pic later. My dad brought her home as a tiny pup when I was 8 and I fell in love. Bonnie lived 16 years and sadly passed away when I was 24 to cancer. I felt as though I had lost a sister. She was an amazing dog and the reason why I love the bull breeds so much I love you
staceyol
staceyol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:07 pm

It came to me and i couldnt say no! I wouldnt have been able to think straight knowing that boots would have been PTS, if we didnt take him. Although we owned staffies at the time and do still..boots was and is on another level...
I never ever thought of the APBT before getting boots..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:38 pm

To make a long story short and not get into too much detail American Pitbull Terriers have been in and out of my life for the about the past 20 yrs. between family friends, neighbors and mates i have been around pitbulls most of my life and have kept them for nearly half my life and learnt a lot about this breed.
this breed kind of just came to me i did not spicificly go out and source a APBT. I was given my first decent dog by my da's mate when i was about 17 and things went on from there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:01 pm

i use to read the papers and believe the lies until about 5 years ago i start fostering and and spent a lot of time in pounds and seen the horrendous amount brought in that never amde it out , and each one had its own story , and each one was gentle and obedient , and i began to fight thier corner , then started to foster them and realised whata fantatic breed they were , then finaly got we got Ruby , and we love her to biths x

Back to top Go down

Post by staceyol Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Bonnie as a pup
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Bonnie the beauty :)
Bonnie with our JRT Lacey and our terapin Tommy :)
Bonnie as an old girl, not long before she passed away xxx
staceyol
staceyol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:16 pm

ah shes lovely xx

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:03 pm

shes the biz Stacey..

TBH i cant really remember the first time i seen a pit as my family has had them since before i was born, i suppose i just grew up with them and back then there was no really bad rep about them or not as many of them in the public hands.

When i was of age to understand the dog i got to own my own dog at 11, what a nutter but one of the most loyal, loving, clownish, and above all people friendly dog that lived in the neighborhood.

I think now today the reason i own them is due to trusting and living with them all my life, i think there is so much more to these dogs than the usual stuff and i think that the breed has everyone has their own sweetheart breed and the APBT is mine.

Im sure you will all agree when i say that this breed has unfairly endured over the past few decades a horrific name and has being a victim of many things under the hands of irresponsible people etc, and today to answer the question you asked Phil, for me owning this breed goes far beyond ownership, my dogs serve me a purpose in life and i think its only fair to give back to them a little of what they have done for me by trying to make change in a positive way for the breed. That's my reasons for owning them

Last edited by celticpitbulls on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

!

Last edited by Come & Go on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:11 pm

have to agree, they are both 2 stunners. Its nice to look back at the old pics.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:16 pm

!

Last edited by Come & Go on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by efulton Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Im sure you will all agree when i say that this breed has unfairly endured over the past few decades a horrific name and has being a victim of many things under the hands of irresponsible people etc, and today to answer the question you asked Phil, for me owning this breed goes far beyond ownership, my dogs serve me a purpose in life and i think its only fair to give back to them a little of what they have done for me by trying to make change in a positive way for the breed. That's my reasons for owning them
[/quote]

Love the way u worded why apbt's are your dog of choice cheers Defo agree that these dogs have so many untrue things said about them and so many idiots wanting them for all the wrong reasons! I never really knew about it untill I came across Shadow and Im so glad I'v got to see first hand what amazing dogs they really are... There is something about pits that you just dont get with other dogs. I can never put my finger on it but I have a special bond with Shadow that I never had with any other breed, I honestly believe these's dogs would die for their owners... Maybe thats what makes them different scratch I dunno Laughing but they are definitely something special
efulton
efulton

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks very much Elle, i have to agree they are a very unique breed Wink
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theoldgit Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Why do I have great affection for bull breeds[I cant say pit bulls as I live in England]but I think my

sig on the forums says more than words on the subject

sorry had to edit this,didnt realise my sig was not on here

GOD PUT DOGS ON THIS EARTH IN THE HOPE THAT MAN MIGHT LEARN FROM THEM COURAGE AND LOYALTY.........there it is

theoldgit

Back to top Go down

Post by charleyd Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:35 pm

i was walking charley one day and a guy walking by with a jrt asked what breed was he , when i told him he is an apbt he kinda snottily asked why i would keep that sort of dog ,which made me wonder why.quickly i replied su re if everyone wanted the same breed there would be only one breed .my son brought a pup home years ago a fawn dog who died at 10from cancer a super apbt called arthur he was thats how i got into the breed bounce
charleyd
charleyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down