Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pitbulls and bullys

+2
charleyd
tommy1985
6 posters

Go down

pitbulls and bullys Empty pitbulls and bullys

Post by tommy1985 Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am

Hi I'm probably goin to upset a few people with this but gonna say it anyway. Its just my opinion but does anyone else not think think some of the bullys being produced are ruining pitbulls. The old english bulldog is now so far removed from what it originally was that it wouldn't be able to do the job it was bred to do thanks to breeding for the show ring and aesthetics. There are now bullys so heavy that they can bare jump and in some cases just can't. Some people may see them as a seperate breed but if u search pitbull in google the majority of what u see are bullys. There are more of them now than there are real pits. Is it only a matter of time but the real deal pits are long gone and the closest thing we've got are useless over sized block headed dogs. Some of them are beautiful but barely resemble what they started out as. Seems that only a small minority are sticking to the dogs true roots and breeding workable dogs. If people want these dogs instead of pitbulls that's fine, is there a seperate breed description for them? I know there are shows so are there guidlines? Iv seen dogs win prizes for biggest head, or shortest dog. So they are being encouraged to be as short but as heavy and bulky as possible. I'm sure that will be beneficial to the breed in the long run. Sorry rant over

tommy1985

Back to top Go down

pitbulls and bullys Empty Re: pitbulls and bullys

Post by charleyd Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

try googling american pitbull terrier, pitbull is an umbrella term to cover a multitude of different breeds there is still plenty of well bred apbts
charleyd
charleyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:28 pm

I rater the more athletic look pits my self

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:07 pm

charleyd wrote:try googling american pitbull terrier, pitbull is an umbrella term to cover a multitude of different breeds there is still plenty of well bred apbts

very true charley, and i have to agree ive seen some huge dogs people call pure bred APBT's, im not in a position to tell anyone weather their dog is or isn't what they say it is and i wont lie that the thought has gone true my head. I have seen some that look like rottys from the back and cant even do 1 over the A-Frame, the Real deal should be unstoppable when it comes to any tasks not needing help to do something as simple as jumping. doubt the large breed will ever take over the APBT, Its just one of them things to the Amateur " bigger is better" there's still good people in the breed and as long as we keep to a rep breeder and not backyard 1s there shouldn't be a problem.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitguy Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:17 pm

the bullys are not apbt.they are a separate breed made by mixin other breeds in to get the short lowrider look with 20 inch head the have there own registry now and everything so anyone who calls them pitbulls needs to cop on.plenty of good fit apbts around .far as i know there arent any bullys in ireland yet but have heard a rumor of someone importing one in soon.the reason you see the bullys all over the internet and not apbts is that there two different types of owners.one buys a dog for athletic ability and function while the other buys a dog to look mean and for colour which do you think will be mouthing of all the time about there big bad dog.
pitguy
pitguy

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:51 pm

lol there's a lot of bullys here in ireland and people think their APBT's, i understand what your saying sean about that actual bullie breed been a breed tho.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:53 pm

There's a couple of Am. Bully's in Ireland and there's been one litter here which was snapped up very quickly. Mostly it's middle-aged Americans who've moved here that owns after importing themselves but they don't advertise what they have because they no they'd have half the population of certain areas trying to rob them.

There's also one quite high-profile breeder of 'Pitbulls' who is importing a dog from Holland in the next few weeks, this will no-doubt really start the infection of these dogs all across Ireland and the Uk. I expect to see this dog make a lasting affect on the 'Pitbull' (so called) population of Ireland, I.e. Dozens of pups going to whoever has the €,€€€ on to buy them (expect to see 4 figure price tags too!)

This site may be of use to you Tommy; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I don't mind Bullies myself, I just wouldn't have one except for a pet and even then it wouldn't be one of the over done dogs. But what really annoys me is when breeders have the cheek to tarnish the American Pit Bull Terrier breed by slapping it all over their crossbreed mongrels.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:56 pm

celticpitbulls wrote:lol there's a lot of bullys here in ireland and people think their APBT's, i understand what your saying sean about that actual bullie breed been a breed tho.

I meant the 'proper' bullies, as in the ones you see on American websites for 1,000's of dollars.

I know what you mean about certain areas and breeders producing dogs very similar to the American Bullies, they're very popular in the South and South West.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:06 pm

yes i know what you ment harry, i was just saying we have that problem here with dogs and people thinking their APBTs and there's some kind of mastiff or American bull dog n them. I
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitguy Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:11 pm

i get ye lilly but at least are mutt pitbulls arent as bad as the ones in the states lol! ares can still walk ten foot lol!
pitguy
pitguy

Back to top Go down

Post by tommy1985 Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 am

Nice to see some of the mixed opinions, don't get me wrong some of the bullies can be quite impressive if they arnt taken to the extreme and are well excercised. But a lot of the seem to be grossly overweight and barely fit for general excercise. I'm glad they are now regarded as a seperate breed. Pitbull is an umbrella term for a lot of different types but bullies aside each of these variations are still fit healthy dogs, some may be as light as 30lb, some maybe 50lbs with varying leg lengths and physical attributes. But they are all still fit active and highly workable dogs, I just pray they stay that way. My own dog is a staffy thats a lil long in the leg. I'm still wet behind the ears as far as bull bred dogs go but I'm just sayin what I see.

tommy1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Mc00 Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Check out these English Bull Terriers that are still being bread for there athletic capabilities and to work compared to what is being bread for the show ring.

Here's a dog and bitch in england, two dogs I really really like.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Here's a couple of Kennel Club EBT's, Which do you prefer lol

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Philly Mc00
Philly Mc00

https://www.facebook.com/phillymcrory

Back to top Go down

Post by tommy1985 Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 pm

Absolutely beautiful dogs philly, can't understand why they wudv deviated from dogs like that to have them look any other way? Think too many people are caught up with gaining cc's or show trophies rather than owning a really nice dog which is as good a dog as it cud be instead of prancing around a show ring exaggerated to the point of ruin

tommy1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Mc00 Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:45 pm

There absolute crackers, the funny thing is allot of show people would look at these dogs and think there badly made dogs, were as we look at them and say wow because were looking for something else in a dog, same with the bullyz, I suppose it's different coarse's for different horses.
Philly Mc00
Philly Mc00

Back to top Go down

Post by tommy1985 Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Suppose ur right, think its probably because we look at the individual dog and not focus on comparing it to statistics and sizes on a page. Beautiful english bulls tho, the first one is a cracker

tommy1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Mc00 Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 pm

We like em fit not fat lol
Philly Mc00
Philly Mc00

Back to top Go down

Post by tommy1985 Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Think uv just summed it up lol