Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

diet and conditioning

+11
staceyol
united
Philly Mc00
cs
DECANIO
YENALED
Harry
Dr. Chuckles
theoldgit
celticpitbulls
tommy1985
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

diet and conditioning Empty diet and conditioning

Post by tommy1985 Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Anyone find any good food they'd recommend? I've got my boy on red mills racer plus and he's getting that with raw meat 50/50. Would love to hear about some of the diets the dogs r on when being conditioned, they look amazing. Not sure if they are closely guarded secrets or not but wud be interesting to hear some of them. I'm new to it all but I'm probably going over something that's discussed pretty often

tommy1985

Back to top Go down

diet and conditioning Empty Re: diet and conditioning

Post by celticpitbulls Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:28 pm

tommy1985 wrote: Would love to hear about some of the diets the dogs r on when being conditioned, they look amazing. Not sure if they are closely guarded secrets or not but wud be interesting to hear some of them.

lol PMSL.

I think when it comes to the diet end of things there's some really good knowledgeable people on here that would only love to share their info. I don't work my dogs too hard as they are a little older than the rest if i did i would certainly Try the raw and only because its more natural. In saying that not all dogs are the same some take to it and some don't, i have also seen dogs that are fed on stuff out of lidl and they look great and work just as good as any dog lol I suppose its trial and error and keeping records of how your dog is progressing.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theoldgit Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 pm

fair comment lilley,i will just add dont forget a bit of fruit and veg,we tend to not feed on 1 random day per week the reason being in the wild hunters are not succesful every day at the same time,and i think we all agree that the biggest mistake is over feeding...............thanks for the red mills by the way when we forgot to pack bullseyes feed at the w/e lol.......see you all soon

theoldgit

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 pm

lol anytime john lol

Thats a great tip about the fruit, what would your choice of fruit be be john?

Also tomatoes, are they good for dogs?

celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Chuckles Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:44 am

The racer food isn't great for bull breeds wrong mix of goodies
Dr. Chuckles
Dr. Chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:19 pm

So what's good instead James?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:20 pm

i never heard of racer food what is it?
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Red Mills Racer, it's a formula of the greyhound food like Australian and the Excel ones
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Could be referring to greyhound ration maybe??
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Chuckles Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 am

Check the vit list at the side of the bag any cheapist food will do but you'll need to balance it up til its twice the content of the list below...let me stress this is only for a super active dog. The prob with the racer is that the pits digestion cann't handle it.

Linoleic Acid (Omega 6)....................................(30 mg) 1%
Calcium.......................................................................3.3%
Manganese...........................................................0.060 mg
Iron..............................................................................1 mg
Phosphorus...............................................................2.56%
Copper..................................................................0.050 mg
Zinc...........................................................................1.5 mg
lodine....................................................................0.052 mg
Vitamin A...............................................................1000 I.U.
Vitamin D3..............................................................100 I.U.
Vitamin E....................................................................2 I.U.
Thiamine (Vitamin B1)..........................................0.819 mg
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)................................................1 mg
Niacin........................................................................10 mg
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)........................................0.082 mg
Vitamin B12........................................................0.0002 mg
*Cobalt..................................................................0.014 mg
Dr. Chuckles
Dr. Chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by tommy1985 Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:08 pm

What is it that upsets the pit's digestion with the red mills? If grey hound can digest it why can't a pit? Not arguing just askin cos I don't know

tommy1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Chuckles Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Its not red mills feeds overal its just the special food for greyhound. i'm going off a vet nutrition report i was given at a convention in England. i left out a 4% charcoal content . its got to do with the way the dog builds muscle. Physically the breeds are not to far apart but when you consider the active life span of the two different breeds you have different requirements. The pit lasts longer with the right stuff thats not to far off natural feeds, hence why its always good to mix a bit of raw in every so often.
Dr. Chuckles
Dr. Chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by DECANIO Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:47 pm

I know alot of lads who feed red mills to their pitbulls & i do myself, have an 9month male pup & he's been on the 27% from early on & his shape & structure are very good, digests it just fine.
DECANIO
DECANIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:06 pm

DECANIO wrote:I know alot of lads who feed red mills to their pitbulls & i do myself, have an 9month male pup & he's been on the 27% from early on & his shape & structure are very good, digests it just fine.

I second that, I feed my pup Red Mills and he eats it fine and it suits him well.

I also agree that your pup is class!
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by cs Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi everyone,

From my experience if you feed red mills racer plus raw meat / tripe then you will be over doing the protein...this can cause skin problems.

Here is a question for you to think about, if red mills racer is a complete feed, why feed extra protein?

some of you might feed half and half and get good results, half and half may cause sloppy stools in others. Alot of it comes down to how hard your working your dog and how much gets absorbed by the dog. Anything that cant be absorbed gets passed.

cs
cs

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Mc00 Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 pm

What way did you feed yours CS, the dog in your avitar looks in tip top nick
Philly Mc00
Philly Mc00

https://www.facebook.com/phillymcrory

Back to top Go down

Post by cs Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:59 pm

I fed many different things - Alot of trial and error involved! Amounts varied depending how much work the dog had done. I used to feed some dry ( i changed dry feeds over the years, again its trial and error) then add somthing extra. By extra i mean, either chicken, liver, beef, turkey neck, green tripe, chicken wings, heart, kidney, sardines, mackeral, eggs...etc etc, the list is endless! I used buy in bulk and mince it and freeze in half pound bags. Some days i left out the dry food and replaced it with veg. I fed fruit as treats.

I fed bone on rest days as you cant work a dog which is full of bone.

cs
cs

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Mc00 Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for sharing, I am much the same, trial and error, I feed my older dog mainly raw feed with boiled rice and veg, and the pups are on royal canin till 15 months then I'll start tryin to figure them out lol. I've never feed them any kind of fruit before, is there anything in particular to avoid or look out for?
Philly Mc00
Philly Mc00

Back to top Go down

Post by DECANIO Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 am

cs wrote:Hi everyone,

From my experience if you feed red mills racer plus raw meat / tripe then you will be over doing the protein...this can cause skin problems.

Here is a question for you to think about, if red mills racer is a complete feed, why feed extra protein?

some of you might feed half and half and get good results, half and half may cause sloppy stools in others. Alot of it comes down to how hard your working your dog and how much gets absorbed by the dog. Anything that cant be absorbed gets passed.

I only feed the red mills with some tinned food & a bit of warm water added just b4 feeding, no raw, from what i'm told that if fed kibble & raw together it's difficult for dog to digest both at once.

Friend of mine feeds 1/2 & 1/2, raw in mornin & kibble at night, healthiest dogs i've seen & swears their stools are hard & easy cleaned, I could post a pic but it's hardly appropriate Embarassed !

Been lookin into raw recently, girl not too far away form me supplies it, might give it a bash & see what difference it makes, i'm happy with how they are on their current food but all i read or hear about raw feeding suggests it is much better for the dogs.
DECANIO
DECANIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Mc00 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 am

Did you have a look her Decanio, it might be helpful to ye

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Philly Mc00
Philly Mc00

Back to top Go down

Post by DECANIO Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:55 am

Seen 1 of the cali jack vids before, in work at mo so when i get a chance i'll get a look at the rest of em

this is website of girl who lives local & supplies raw, obviously prices reflect the fact that she has to earn a wage & are higher than if you sourced food yourself but there's a good variety there, won't let me post external link for 7 days so i'll put up link after that
DECANIO
DECANIO

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am

DECANIO wrote:I know alot of lads who feed red mills to their pitbulls & i do myself, have an 9month male pup & he's been on the 27% from early on & his shape & structure are very good, digests it just fine.
nearly every other pit owner i know feed red mil's too. I used lots of others and found some didnt agree with my dogs. Then i went on2 red mil's leeder and it didnt upset their tummy. I think all dogs are different and some will take 2 stuff others dont. I also have 2 agree with cs., it makes sence that if ur feeding a complete food its can unbalance the meal by adding thing's. I also give my dogs fish, small bit of raw mince, raw egg and pasta. Each giving on different days with their dry food. Am i making a mistake or is it doing no harm? I dont work my dogs as hard as others do but they get a good 1half hour of light working out like walking 1 day and spring pole or flirt pole the next.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cs Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:26 am

This is my opinion and only my opinion....

If your dogs are happy with lots of energy, then keep what your doing.

The key to success is training, nutrition and rest.

Like humans you need a have some type of goal, do you want the heavy muscled dog which looks great but cant do alot of cardio?

Or....

Do you want a dog which will pull like a train on the lead for two hours, then do 55 mins on the flirt, followed 30 mins mill, then another hours walk to cool down? In which case your dog will be lean and athletic looking.

Something else to remember is not to over train, over training wont allow the muscle fibres to regrow.
cs
cs

Back to top Go down

Post by united Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:27 pm

I know of a good few well known dog's that were fed redmill's throughout their live's and during their keep's. But can anyone name any that were fed on any of these fad diets?

united

Back to top Go down

Post by staceyol Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Well I will let you know how Molly gets on as I am switching her to raw feed, something similar to Cali Jack's feed this weekend. She is doing good at the moment on kibble, fish, egg, carrots and porridge but want to try the raw feed out as I think she will benefit alot more now that I am back training her, watch this space lol !!
staceyol
staceyol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum