Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cost of a Dog...

5 posters

Go down

The Cost of a Dog... Empty The Cost of a Dog...

Post by Harry Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:04 pm

The most thought about cost of a dog is the food, it's what almost everyone spends the most $ on aslong as they are healthy (no epilipsy, big health probs etc.)

So, saying your dog eats 500g of food a day, a 15kg bag will last 30 days, so that's 12 bags in the year, which saying the amount of money people spend on food being anything from 10 to 70 per bag, the cost for the year is 120e-840e.

After the food the next thing is probably Vets, with again assuming your dog is healthy, the cost is usually around 40e, which is for the vaccinations and a health check.

Then you might have Insurance, which eliminates the threat of expensive vet bills after an accident, the average cost for Insurance is around 15e a month. (Just less than 200e)

So for the average running of the dog can be as low as 180e for the 10e food and no insurance. Or it could be as high as 1000e with feeding the really expensive food (Royal Canin, Hills etc... overpriced IMHO) and insurance.

Then you have the added costs of say a bed, collar, lead, toys etc. which don't necissarly have to be replaced every year if you pay for the good stuff in the first place Wink

So guys, what you think of this? I have the big things covered. There's other small things like the 2e bone you buy when you're doing the shopping for them... I think I have most bases covered and the food price was worked out well I think lol.

Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

The Cost of a Dog... Empty Re: The Cost of a Dog...

Post by YENALED Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:06 am

Yep harry you have most of the main costs covered. But if you are any way like me I cant resist nice collars and leads, I usually walk out the pet shop with more than I went in for LOL. If you go on hols will you have to pay for a boarding kennels thats an extra expense. Not sure but I think the average round here is a tenner a night. Another way of getting cheap food is going to the butchers on a Saturday night and asking him for dog mince, sometimes they have a bit to spare along with other bits and pieces.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:34 am

haha jules im the same go in to pet shop for one thing and come out with tons of stuff.

harry are you going to get your dog spayed/neutured coz that costs abit too dont kno if its covered on insurance.

bet you will have to replace beds, collars etc.... got new beds for mine and the zip was chewed in mins. the filling was everywhere and they had great fun doing it.....lol
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:28 pm

I told you that would happen :L You said you were getting new beds for them after the demodex.... and i said they'd have great fun with em lol. lol!

The kennels is another thing you're right... a member on here got charged 350e for 2weeks, that's why he wanted me to mind the dog the next time lol.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by mark Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:15 pm

i go through a bag of gain 28,and casko.every 10 days..so thats around 30 euro..i will also get box of pig ears,,40 cent each ....once a month...50 in a box...
leads and harness,well i do buy new one every now and again..they are good quality so they last..its the leads i have to buy..gypsy ate most of the ones i had for years..and i mean years,,

the butcherz like jules said is a great idea...will be down to my local 2moro..
no problem with the health of ny dogs..but do have to make visits to vets ...

other than that its great to have them around..dont matter what it costs me...i would pay anything for their company....
mark
mark

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Harry wrote:I told you that would happen :L You said you were getting new beds for them after the demodex.... and i said they'd have great fun with em lol. lol!

The kennels is another thing you're right... a member on here got charged 350e for 2weeks, that's why he wanted me to mind the dog the next time lol.

i fixed them up and there like new now.... when i seen the mess all i could do was laugh.

have to agree with mark, pups have cost me alot in there 9 months on the planet but there worth every penny.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:12 am

mark wrote:

other than that its great to have them around..dont matter what it costs me...i would pay anything for their company....

It's like the mastercard ad lol.

food 30e

leads 15e

the greeting from your dog when you get home - priceless

Razz

On the Butcher thing, I always get big bones off the Butcher, the dogs love them and chew them for like 3 days, they're the big bits out of the leg, around the knee or just below it I think. There isn't a whole lot of meat on them, mostly this white, grippy stuff (fat, skin, I dunno lol, the dogs like it) and the best part is, it's free Wink the Butcher has to pay to get rid of it anyway Wink

Only thing is, if you don't pick them up every few weeks, it looks like a cow grave yard in your garden :L
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Well if your local butcher is used to you coming in for bones he would probably give you dog mince on a Saturday night. I get the odd bone from the butcher but it is a sure way of starting a row in this house. They have to be watched or given them in their pens. The bulldogs are the worst for starting it usually with each other and that sets the others off LOL.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Ruby always takes the biggest one, and Bobby just takes the little one... he isn't as fond of the meaty stuff, he just likes chewing the bone...

I might ask about the mince, i'm sure they'll like it Wink

Also.... Jules, how much does the c-section cost with litter of Bulldogs?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:23 pm

Harry I dont really know for sure as most of my vet bills are just for meds. It really depends on where you are but I would think it is at least €500.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks. I asked because I saw on a website about Bulldogs, that it was like 3k (they were trying to explain why Bulldogs are so much more expensive then everything other than a rare kind of hippo over in america, they regularly go for $8000!!)
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:55 pm

thats because they're mutants harry with all sorts of defects !

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:17 am

mark wrote:i go through a bag of gain 28,and casko.every 10 days..so thats around 30 euro..i will also get box of pig ears,,40 cent each ....once a month...50 in a box...
leads and harness,well i do buy new one every now and again..they are good quality so they last..its the leads i have to buy..gypsy ate most of the ones i had for years..and i mean years,,

the butcherz like jules said is a great idea...will be down to my local 2moro..
no problem with the health of ny dogs..but do have to make visits to vets ...

i think the last line say's a lot mark and i have to agree,
i dont really take notice of what it costs for my dogs, i have them on red mills and when the bag is just about gone i go get another, im like most of you if i need it i just get it, i love looking at new collars and leads if i see something i like i suppose i just get it along with treats, its not something i ever thought about till you brought it up, today i went up to the pet shop and seen 1 of them boomer balls ady was talking about, well i just got it 29.99 along with a raw hide bone the same size as myself lol as for vet bills thankfully i haven't had to many problems just Sasha now has just being diagnosed with Arthritis in her 2 back hips and front elbow, i suppose the cost of a dog can't really be spot on as we just dont know vet wise what can pop up, all the rest like food, leads etc we can put somewhat cost on but the rest we just have to face when it comes along.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:39 am

I think he was talking about the american bullies

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is actually some individual Bullies I like, but i'd never get one over a real pit Wink

Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:44 am

jbrady wrote:thats because they're mutants harry with all sorts of defects !
If all dogs are believed to have come from The Wolf then the same could be said for lots of breeds.
Not all bulldogs have defects including mine. It is my experience that the people that find fault with them often are obtuse and sometimes they are not easy on the eye to look at either. I would never look at my 2 girls that have given me so much pleasure and knowledge over the years and call them mutants.
Mr J Brady I am suprised at your comments, you should at least back that remark up with an explanation, it sounds like something one of us auld ones/nancy would have said .
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:46 am

Harry where you talking about The American bulldog when you asked me about cost of C-section?
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:37 pm

YENALED1 wrote:
jbrady wrote:thats because they're mutants harry with all sorts of defects !
If all dogs are believed to have come from The Wolf then the same could be said for lots of breeds.
Not all bulldogs have defects including mine. It is my experience that the people that find fault with them often are obtuse and sometimes they are not easy on the eye to look at either. I would never look at my 2 girls that have given me so much pleasure and knowledge over the years and call them mutants.
Mr J Brady I am suprised at your comments, you should at least back that remark up with an explanation, it sounds like something one of us auld ones/nancy would have said .

if you can cast your mind back you'll remember my explanation as to why i think they're mutants ( respiratory problems , most cant mate and if they can they cant drop pups naturaly , riddled with arthritis , low mortality rate the list goes on and on) . i suppose thats why ye got your self a propper dog ! how long have you kept pitbull for now ?

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Most dogs suffer from some sort of defect, as I dont claim to be an authority on the Pit Bull Terrier I can only quote from various web sites about their general health....The breed tends to have a higher than average incidence of hip dysplasia. They may also suffer from patella problems, thyroid dysfunction and congenital heart defects. American Pit Bull Terriers with dilute coat colours have a higher occurrence of skin allergies.
Anything that has had human intervention usually ends up with long term effects after time. My bulldogs do not suffer from any faults you mentioned and as I have said time & time again all my girls have lived to the age of at least 12. What is the average age of a Pit Bull? not much more!!! It is my choice to have a c-section as I truely believe it minimises any dangers that might arrise when a bitch is in whelp. You seem to think your an authority on the bulldog just because you watch too much television. I never over-breed my bulldogs and I certainly wouldnt let any drop at 8/9. You seem hell bent on trying to upset me, as far as I'm concerned you only come and visit us auld ones/nanceys to stir it up. If I had my way I would prefere it if you left and find somewhere where all the dogs are free from any mutations or defects. As the auld saying goes listen to the pot calling the kettle black.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:57 pm

And another thing Mr Brady how bloody dare you come on here disrespecting my dogs, it wasn't that long ago you suggested that me and my close friends should all be locked up in a box because of the way we treat our dogs. Now all you have to say is they are mutants how bloody dare you. i have had enough of you and your comments and I will be suggesting to all admins that you are removed.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:10 pm

hang on there a minute did i ever once mention YOUR dogs ? no i didnt i replied to a comment that someone posted the world doesnt revolve around you so come down off your high horse this is a forum for discussing APBT and to have some one removed for shaking things up a little is out of order!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Ban him. ...How dare he speak the truth...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:24 pm

lol! lol! some people cant handle the truth Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:32 pm

As far as I'm aware there are no other members on here that keep Bulldogs, so I am afraid I can only conclude that the comments are directed at me. I will not stand by and let you or anyone else insult me or my dogs when it is quite clear that you do not know me or how I keep my bullies. You have some nerve having an avitor like that while you sit their at your computer throwing what I regard as insults. Just because you have read some bloody news article or listened to bad press about certain breeders of the Bulldog your doing the exact opposit of what your avitor stands for the only difference being its another breed of dog. I really dont know what your intentions are or why you want to be a member of our forum? Is it just the fact you like hanging with auldones/nanceys or do you just like to shake things up?
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 pm

im locking this tread now, and eamo the only 1 that will be getting barred here will be you for your egging on people and your silly bloody childish comments,
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum