Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

people's reaction

+5
blackpitbull
Harry
eamo s
celticpitbulls
Pauline88
9 posters

Go down

people's reaction Empty people's reaction

Post by Pauline88 Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Hello,

I'm doing a feature for the Leinster Leader about the bad press pit bulls get, and I was hoping to include a bit about the way the general public react when they see a pit bull. Are they scared? More scared than if it was say, a labrador? Do they pull their children to one side incase he attacks them? Is there anything you do to try and make people less afraid of your pit bull?

Also, if you've any good stories where your pit bull has been the exact opposite to the man eating savage they are portrayed to be I'd like to include that maybe too!

Thanks!

Pauline

Pauline88

Back to top Go down

people's reaction Empty Re: people's reaction

Post by celticpitbulls Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:06 am

hi Pauline and welcome to the forum,
its funny you have came up with this topic as i was just about to do a post about something similar that happened to me this week and it might just enplane some of the questions you have asked..

i have being an owner of the pit bull breed for many years now, i have being promoting responsible ownership, fighting breed specific legislation for quite some time, i live in an area where there is a lot of dogs, dogs that are friendly and some that are not so friendly, within these breeds we have a lot of bully breeds, i haven't met 1 that has shown any aggression to me or my dogs or to any1 around where i live. I have also being attacked on a number of occasions by none restricted breeds such as collies, labs, jack Russel etc but i don't blame the breeds for it as i believe the actions of your dog should be 100% the owners responsibility regardless of what breed you own, but i noticed when these attacks happen with non restricted breeds its not taking seriously its just laughed off by the owner like its ok for this because their not labeled dangerous dogs.

i had an incident this week where a back draft caught my hall door blew it open and 1 of my dogs got out, there was a gentleman standing across the road with a collie, as my dog was running across the road the man saw him and got that much of a fright that he started to panic really bad swinging his dog in all directions as my dog was getting nearer to him, at this stage i was just behind my dog but my dog happened to nip the collie on the upper leg before i could get to him, i was devastated and just took my dog away left him into the house and went back out to the owner of the collie and took him wright to the vets, thankfully the dog was ok just a little shuck up didn't need any stitches and was told he was fine so i paid the bill, apologized and told him if i could do anything else to help him all he had to do was ask, at the end of the day it was 100% my fault for being even just that little laxadasy by having him at the fount door when i was going out, this has never happened in the 6 years he's being there he has never went for the door, im not saying he would have hurt the dog what im saying is that you have to always be 100% on making sure your dogs know not to pass the hall door and thats what i have learnd from this and working on with great success, " its the new rule in the house" .

anyway to cut a long story short because i happened to own a pit bull i had the pound out as i was reported, the lads from the pound were really nice i have to say and listened to my side of the story as i had previous encounters with this dog before, i explained it was an accident and that its wasn't a viscous attack it was a nip requiring no further treatment, i also stated it was not the dogs fault it was mine for not watching what i was doing for that split second. see i could have lost my dog this week because he happened to be a pit bull, as i said before if my dog had long curly hair it would have just being put down to dogs being dogs..

if this had of happened and i owned a lab i would have never had the pound at my door, i can understand that the gentleman must have got a really bad fright but i also understand that his actions could have caused even the most stable of dogs to attack because of the frenzy he went into seeing a pit bull coming towards him, why did he react this way, i believe its down to some attacks that have hurt or killed children, but we have understand there has being attacks and children being killed by many other breeds, yes the general public do have a fear of the breed and as an owner we should always respect that, if we can educate instead of blaming everything on breed we might just get somewhere,
that's why i posted this, it doesn't make me a irresponsible owner because my dog got out as it could of happened to any1 with any breed of dog, but what i need to do is learn from it, carry on and make sure it never h appends again.

Do they pull their children to one side incase he attacks them?

yes i have walked by ladys on the street pushing a pram, i always walk my dogs close to me when im walking by people as you always notice if some1 is scared of your dog you just try make it that more easy for them by having your dog under control, if i wasn't to be respectful enough to move out onto the road im sure they would in an instant go out onto the road putting them self their baby and drivers at risk because of the fear some people have,

.Is there anything you do to try and make people less afraid of your pit bull?

well besides the above that's one of the reasons what this forum is about, i have met some fabulous owners here and some amazing dogs on this forum i think the members here alone have done a great job to promote the positive image of the breed and show people that good owners and good dogs do exist :D

Is there anything you do to try and make people less afraid of your pit bull?
yes if i see that a person is interested but not sure i would approach them and tell them my dogs are fine, once they get rubbing them they cant get enough of them lol!

Also, if you've any good stories where your pit bull has been the exact opposite to the man eating savage they are portrayed to be I'd like to include that maybe too!

lol yeah you can see how viscous these pit bulls are..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:51 am

I know Lilly a number of years now, when i first met her at her home. 3 powerful dogs waiting to greet me, a stranger, someone they never met before. They where all sniffing at me, reading me like a newspaper. I gave one of them a rub, big mistake, the 3 of them all wanted to be petted alnite . They werent called Nanny dogs for nothing back in the old days :D I myself was the owner of the Pitbull breed for many years now. I would welcome anyone out of Leinster house to visit my house and see how placid and docile my dog is. He would lie their all day if he got a good back scratch and a belly rub. The logic of the story is, Pitbulls crave human attention, once they are properly socialized just like any other breed. :D
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:21 am

that's one of the major problems with the legislation eamo, "restricted breeds" how can a dog be properly socialized with out breaking the law, if you break it your in trouble and if you don't your dog is restricted from having any natural life as socializing is of most importance when it comes to having a well behaved dog regardless of breed, some say if you have a dog aggressive pit bull or other breed its down to the way its be reared, i believe its down to number 1 the legislation preventing particular breeds from being them self and getting the proper socializing they need as any dog regardless of breed will develop issues if not properly socialized, then the problem is blamed on breed and owner, and most some cases uneducated owners. this is why we need education not legislation as its causing more and more problems than preventing them.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:03 am

Lilly i i agree and understand in what you are saying. How can this type of dog adapt to today's society, if they have to be under chain and ball for there short lives that they have in this world. If they are kept locked up away from the public and other pets. They will be nervous and agressive, the simple reason for it. They aren't to sure how to react if a dog comes over to sniff at them. Education is the key policey to prevent such bad press spreading like an aggressive cancer. It not only gives are pets a bad name but we are frowned upon too. We are realy lucky to have intelligent and responsible owners on this forum. Some people just have tunnel vision when it comes to certain aspects in life. They refuse point blank to acknowledge for instances, if you hail from a socially deprived area. You are automatically a criminal or just some one who knows no better than to steal. The same thing goes for the restricted breed, but unfortunately the A.P.B.T. and Pitbull types always make it to the number one spot.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:02 pm

I don't own a Pitbull but have been around them a good bit and know alot about them and there history, I remember at one of our Pack walks/meet-ups I was at the front of the group with 2 people and their Pits, a woman was approaching from the side with 4 Pomeranians and when she caught sight of the 30 or so Pits walking towards her she picked up 2 of her dogs and ran away pulling the other 2 behind her, she didn't get within 30m of us but as soon as she saw us she ran, that was the first day I had ever seen any Pits in real life, and this was the first negative reaction I saw aswell, but on a better note there was plenty of positive reactions from other people.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by blackpitbull Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:53 pm

pple cross the road every time i tink its stupid. give the dog a chance 1 bad bit of press there breed is branded as a killer etc

i have a 1 and a half year old and 2 pits and he loves um to bits as they lie down side buy side with em and he pets um and they love it and there extremly gentle round him very concious that he is weaker than um so the never lie on his egs etc just aty his side and then try to assinate him buy licking him to death hahaha

pits are twice as nice as every other dog around kids it would take haven to sit in room with kids and a pit forit to be seen

blackpitbull

Back to top Go down

Post by grace.omahony Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi
I have owned a rescue pitbull for two years. When we got her I was very conscious of their reputation, especially as I had never been around pitbulls before. What I have found out about the breed is that in the hands of responsible owners, they are fantastic dogs. Our dog Lola is loyal, only wants to please, and is great with people.

As for our experience with children, whenever we meet children, they usually crowd around all talking at once. Lola is excellent with them, she very sensitive and calm around them. She usually sits or lies down, allowing them to pet her.

For the most part, my experience with the public has been quite positive. Mostly when we meet, people ask what breed she is and are surprised when we tell them she's a pitbull. It gives a chance to explain that pitbulls have very good temperments. Sometimes, i have met people who have been negative about her. At first, it really bothered me, that people would judge me and dog without really knowing either of us. Now, I try and explain what an undeserved bad reputation they have. If its a neighbour or someone nearby, we ask if they would like to meet her. I think most people appreciate it.

I understand the general public fear of pitbulls as they really only read/hear negative press about them. I think that when they see pitbulls with responsible owners, they can see what good companions they are.

grace.omahony
grace.omahony

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:14 pm

what a lovely way of explaining it grace i couldn't agree more.. Wink just look at the reaction we have in the park at our walks, im not sure if there surprised to see so many pit bulls or surprised that they are all well behaved and controlled by good owners, but people are smiling :D
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:10 pm

The woman with the little Yorkie was funny today, she had him up in her arms Razz She did say all the dogs were lovely and well-behaved tho Surprised
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Thats are goal, to promote good responsible ownership, we got a few smiles too which is good. They will go home and say it to there partner, friend, family etc.. The word will spread in a positive way i hope :D
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline88 Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:07 am

That's great, its good to hear so many good stories! The feature will be in the Leinster Leader next week if anyone wants to check it out. Thanks everyone!

Pauline88

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 am

That's class, will my bit be in it?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline88 Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:10 am

im not sure yet im gonna read through it all now and sort it out!

Pauline88

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:39 am

Harry wrote:That's class, will my bit be in it?

lol!
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Harry never a dull moment with our Harry cheers
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 pm

great news good luck with your article [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and please please send us a link when you get it done, thanks Pauline... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Yeah Pauline a big thank you from the gang, much appreciated cheers
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 pm

just wanted to add wot happened me a while back.... two pups had finally got there jabs so waited the week after and brought them out for a short walk.... i could see two women looking at them with big smiles on there faces... one of them asked was it ok to rub them... she was a dog lover... i said no problem so she got down on her knee and started to rub them.... pups where chuffed and started to lick her on the cheek.... she couldnt compliment them enough.... then she asked wot breed they where so i told her... my did her reaction change... she pulled her hands away jumped up and said we have to go... i was disgusted at her reaction.... they where 13 weeks old and no harm to anyone... anyways i told her she was very narrow minded and asked her did they harm her... she said no... i said didnt think so and how dare she react as if they did.... i get alot of negativity, ppl crossing street, bad looks... i try not to let it bother me but it does coz there well behaved and just want a rub or to sniff out the dog if ppl are walking them.

did anyone ever see the article as mentioned above and was it good
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by inkriminate Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:21 pm

i get people lifting small dogs up, pulling they're children away and crossing the road if they see any of my 3, they are very curious and alert when i have them out but they dont make a squeak!

when at the park the other day i must have gone past 5 people who couldnt have got further away from snoop if they tried, i have been asked are Asha and Kane wolves? and been asked to keep my vicious beasts away from people, even asked if when snoop grows up will he not be vicious and bite even if he is a lil lick now. all snoop wants is to get on your knee and get a back rub and some cuddles, jesus even kane tries to get on my knee still and trust me hes the size and weight of a donkey lol

i really dont like the reaction they seem to get as it all stems from uneducated opinions and media fear mongering, when was the last time you heard of a lab attacking someone but i will bet that it happens more than people would like to think.....
inkriminate
inkriminate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum