Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you have done?

+2
slattery9104
Harry
6 posters

Go down

What would you have done? Empty What would you have done?

Post by Harry Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:59 am

I saw a story today of a woman out walking her APBT and a Lab ran out from a yard (not his) and the woman tried to stop her dog attacking by lifting him vertically up but the Lab went to bite the APBT and bit her leg. anyway long story short the owner of Lab got fined for not having licence/vacc up to date.

That's fine and dandy alright, but in the replies to this one man said why did you not just let the dog attack the Lab? Why risk getting Rabies or other disease yourself when the dog could quite easily have killed the Lab. He said he was walking his 3yo son and a APBT he owns one day and was attacked by a Dalmation off lead. He simply let the APBT at the Dalmation then seperated them when the Dalmation stopped trying to attack back. He then called Animal Control and they said he did the right thing.

So I was wondering what would you have done in the first situation, We all know it's in the APBT that there is some level of DA in them, why not use it to your advantage for once instead of it always being a proplem?

And I know i'm going to get responses like "Stupid thread" etc but if you think about it how often do you walk past a house with a Lab or Collie that runs to the wall barking aggresively? What if he/she gets out someday? What would you do then?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

What would you have done? Empty Re: What would you have done?

Post by slattery9104 Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 am

i've two answers to this a part of me says let my dog defend himself but realistically i pick my pit up as i would not take the chance of him been blamed and taken from me, also the pit has to be muzzled by law and it would be pointless leavin him defend himself wen he cant use his mouth so for him to defend himself he would need to have no muzzle which the warden can then blame me and him for having no muzzle, i'd happely get bit by a lab to save my dog from been put down but by god i'd kick the poo outa the other dog for latchin onto me and i'd make sure the owner of the dog would suffer the conciquence of been an irresponsible owner however i would not like to see the other dog put down just rehomed to a person who can be a responsible owner

lol sorry bout the cus lilly wont happen again

Last edited by slattery9104 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
slattery9104
slattery9104

http://www.christopherslattery.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:29 am

I think that's the the same with me. Really our dogs wouldn't be able to defend themselves/us properly with the muzzle, and if you didn't have it on then there was an enquiry or something you'd get in trouble, and your dog could get taken.

Best choice would probably be try and restrain your own dog and also help the other dog see the it would be much better to go home or else he might fall down or a stick could fall from a tree and hit him Surprised
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:55 am

I was talking to a friend last week about a situation like this because she gets attacked everytime she walks her spaniel past a particular house. She told me that another friend of hers had suggested that apart from having a good pair of steal toe capped boots and using them a handy thing to have is a can of breath freshener. I have seem them in chemists, small little aerosols no bigger than a cig lighter. she was told that breath freshener is quite effective because it burns the eyes but has no harmful lasting effects. Sounds like a good idea because if I walk 3/4 of my dogs together and there is a confrontation I wouldn't be able to seperate them. Delilah would be a great adversary for any dog but because I have 3/4 dogs out together one of which is a pit I probably would be blamed for the attack.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:11 pm

that's a fantastic topic harry and really important.
i have this problem most days where i live, as far as i have seen its ok if a dog runs barking or attacking you on a street or out of a garden and attacks you once its not a pit bull, the incident that happened to me a few weeks ago with a collie proved this to me first hand,
the collie in question has attack dogs where i live and my own, sasha was attacked 2 times and butch once, i don't blame the dog or think he's like this because he's a collie i blame the owner for having his dog this way and allowing it to happen over and over again with out learning from it or taking any responsibility. but the first and last time one of my dogs got out and nipped this collie on the leg, the dog needed no stitches as it was just a scratch i was reported and had the pound at my door, why, because i own a pit bull.
to answer your question i think if a dog attacks you then you should have the wright to defend your self, may it be a to swing a kick or to let your dog go if you had no choice, on the other hand my feeling would be that in this country and the discrimination involved in owning this breed and the breed its self even in defense we could end up loosing our dog because he/she happens to be a pit bull.
its hard you cant win when you have a nation of people brain washed into believing its some kind a criminal offense to own 1,
really how dare they, there's dogs out side my house now that are barking and running at people walking by and nothing is being said, if it was my dogs it wouldn't be tolerated.
i think id have to save my dog by not letting him hurt another dog because its just to big a risk to trust the systems for Justice.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:23 pm

yeah i agree lil

also jules i had forgot till you said it there, in the pet store maxi zoo and pet mania and prob some others you can get mild pepper spray as a deterrant for dogs its as you said only the size of a lighter and as far as i know is use once and throw away would be handy to have
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:28 pm

I agree it is an interesting subject but I feel we have our hands tied behind our backs. There is an incident waiting to happen about a mile away from me. A family moved into a new house and bought with them 2 dogs. A small terrier and a big black Belgium Type shepherd. At first all was quiet untill I went passed the house on 1 of the horses, The 2 dogs ran out into the road and seemed intent on attacking my mare. All I could rely on were her 2 back legs but as she was only a baby she was afraid to turn round I thought I was going to be bucked off. It was scary and to this day she is very wary to pass this house. Since them the 2 dogs are always tied up at the back of the house but on the odd occassion they are let off in the garden and will go for anything or anyone that passes. The house is unavoidable as it is on the main route out of the village. I walk passed everyday with the dogs and so far they haven't got out but not for the want of trying if they are loose. After the incident with the horse she was told to keep her dogs under control but all that has happened is they are tied up 24 hours a day. If they are let loose it is usually in the evening when the roads is very quiet but come Winter is is going to be hard to see the feckers and they will frighten the life out of someone passing.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:48 pm

well what i would do there is a favor for every1 and them dogs, if the owner wont help out then i would make it my business to walk by on a day their set free, while walking by and they come running out id have a nice big bucket of cold water waiting for them, i think they'll think twice b4 doing it again.
poor dogs being left to their own in public is not safe for them or others.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:54 pm

I feel sorry for the dogs dont think they are walked but I would be really wary of them. I mentioned in another post this road is used alot by people walking their dogs and it is ususaly the dogs walking that set them off. The terrier is the instigator but that big black shepherd means business.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:37 pm

sounds nasty, has the owners got anything to say or have they even done anything to stop it?
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:29 pm

They think by tying them up solves the problem. I think other people have complained but what can you do 99% of the time they are tied up round the back of the house.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:47 pm

ah thats very sad jules, are they old dogs?
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:01 pm

celticpitbulls wrote:ah thats very sad jules, are they old dogs?

No I dont think so, they didnt get them as pups the dogs just appeared out of the blue. For a while they were always loose and you would often see them running in the neighbours fields. I suppose once they settled in and became familiar with their surroundings they became aggressive.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:13 pm

true, it sounds like there was just no interest in getting the dogs used to their new home and being part of the community,
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:57 pm

That was also one of the replies, the mace idea I mean, he might learn a little Razz

On my road route it's about 3.5miles with some big enough hills so the dogs are well tired by the end (Today I went with them this morning) and then this evening Dad came with me again, so we had Bob's X-Back harness on because my sister was going to on her KMX which she can go abou a mile maybe lol, so Bobby pulled her the whole way he is so tired lol, and ruby just running around infront of him (off lead) he was good tho.

Anyway after that off topic piece of news Razz I pass 3 sets of agrresive dogs, first or last (it's just the house at the start of the loop so whenever the dog is around) Is an Akita X Lab who is very stand offish and once attacked Ruby, when it's me I just keep walking and Bobby will go over if he's causing trouble, he'll stand with his tail up beside the other dog and they usually just walk away but when Dad is there (to Bob, Dad is God) he'll do the same and if the dog follows us Dad will send him off and at the sight of Bob runin the Akita usually runs, so I think that's OK but maybe because it's in APBT to be DA it might get nasty, as Bob just turns when he sees other dog goin.

Then we have Collie who Barks and then sees Bobbyand goes back inside lol.

Then Troy (the GSD I put up pics of before) he's 6months and about 1/2" taller than Bobby who is 22. He's nice and sometime's I bring him with me.

Then there's the most annoying 3 terriers (they're not well bred enough to be JRT) who Lil has heard when she rang me and I had to put the phone down to go past lol. Well they're a pain they'll run full speed out the gate at you and I just send Bob up and he will stand over the main dog and flex the guns lol and then we'll walk on.

Thankfully the owner now puts the dogs in the shed (Similar fix to the problem Jules had with neighbours 2) They use to be lose alltogether then they chained them and put up BEWARE sign lol and that didn't work so now they locked up. Otherwise the big girl would tomorrow have very sore eye's Twisted Evil

I think this is an important thread more so for you people with the "Most Hated" than me with Little Angels :D

Would anyone mind if I put up a pic to show my dog and 1 or 2 of the Champion GR's in Ireland (Past/Present) Because I know that my dog is in better shape than ALL of them :D
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:28 am

i dont think any one would mind pal, bang em up i'd love to see em thats if its ok
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:06 am

fire away Harry would love to see more pics. I have no knowledge whats so ever on the GR standard I would love you to point out Bobbys good points.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:37 am

would love to see some pic's of him harry as all breeds are very welcome here. :D
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blackpitbull Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:04 pm

it will only take one nip for yur dog to hold a grudge mine did went wrong but turned out for the better. on my walk there is 1 terrier who bits at every dog and chaces the girlfriend mothers dogs trew the fields luck she is fast she gets away . but once she bit my pit and bad i pull the pit away on the lead and then go vet. but a few weeks later i drove past the house no dogs so went on a walk dogs off lead very country roads but i was walkin past the house the dog apeared out of the neighbours house and charged my pit who was 200 feet up the road bit her a few times was a stand of for 3 seconds and a growl out of my pit as a warnig feck off. the the stupid dog went again but my dog fought back and tore the other dog to bits now i was in full sprint trying t oget there to stop it i did and stoped it on time before there was blood or a dead dog

any1 gess what happend an hour later nock nock. dog warden your dog attacked another dog i said no it didnt and i have a vet bill to prove that she attacked my dog 2 weeks ago. i told him call back in 3 weeks he can go on the walk with me il show him what the other dog was like, let just say the other dog came tearing out of no were and went for my pit again and good owl pit dint growl nothing stood there dog warden nocked on the door haha 500€ fine to them and an apolagy to me best day of my life said id share that

blackpitbull

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:08 pm

These attacks are happening all to often, and the majority of time its not a Bull breed at all. Its irresponsible owners, that should have their dogs under control at all times especialy in public. I dont blame the dog, i blame the owner. I was driving through some back roads between Newcastle and Celbridge. I isolated spot, this big black dog came out of nowhere. He tried to bitre me and i nearly crashed. I was lucky nothing happend to me, because i was on a bike.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Maaaaan, I could have got some serious fines on them Terriers Razz
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:34 pm

wow good 1 blackpitbull, people seem to think that the law only apples to pit bull owners, its a disgrace that your made to feel like some kind of criminal because you happen to own a certain breed, im glad you stood up some just take the blame because they feel they are at fault because of the shame people try put on you for owning such a monster regardless if he/she started it or not.
good on ya im glad you painted the real picture cheers
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum