Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BEWARE OF THE DOG

+4
russell aslett
Harry
eamo s
YENALED
8 posters

Go down

BEWARE OF THE DOG Empty BEWARE OF THE DOG

Post by YENALED Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:31 am

I was listening to a debate between friends last week about the legalities surrounding your rights to protect your property. The conversation mainly concentrated on putting a sign up on the entrance to your house 'Beware of the Dog'. It was more or less agreed on that this sign did not protect your dog if it bit someone on your property that hadn't been invited. I didn't get involved in the conversation because I don't really know the laws concerning this. I do have a feeling that if you put a Beware of the dog' sign up then you should have your property secure so no-one can get in. I personally wouldn't put 1 up because you are advertising a dangerous dog. Just wondering what are your thoughts are on this and does anyone know what your rights are.....
p.s I do have a sign up on the front door but its more of a funny 1 than a warning, there is a big cuddly looking bulldog on it and it says "I can get to the gate in 3 seconds how fast can you"....yeah right more like 3 hours lol.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

BEWARE OF THE DOG Empty Re: BEWARE OF THE DOG

Post by eamo s Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:55 am

Maybe the law has changed since that poor man in Clare i think had the right to defend himself and his property. I do know that, if you are attacked by an animal, even if intruding the proprietor is liable. Which i think is absolutely ludicrous. A Garda once said to me, if that ever happened, your best bet is to drag the assailant (victim) off your property and call an Ambulance.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:17 pm

If you get your dog professionally trained, I think there's something differant, he's put in the same class as a Police dog,

A big factory in town has 2 GSD's and a Rott, they're gaurd dogs, not trained gaurd dogs, but gaurd dogs none the less, they're useless Gaurd dogs tho, I walked up to the fence one day and they were licking me lol.

I have a Beware of Gaurd Dog sign, it's a big-ass Bulldog with a 6" underbite lol, like the one in Tom And Gerry Razz It's stapled on to the front of Bobby's old house.

But anyway, I don't think the sign protects u from liabities. It's the same as on building sites, they have to put up signs 'beware of hole' or deep excavation, beware' but if someone falls in they can still sue the poo outa them lol
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Harry wrote:If you get your dog professionally trained, I think there's something differant, he's put in the same class as a Police dog,

A big factory in town has 2 GSD's and a Rott, they're gaurd dogs, not trained gaurd dogs, but gaurd dogs none the less, they're useless Gaurd dogs tho, I walked up to the fence one day and they were licking me lol.

I have a Beware of Gaurd Dog sign, it's a big-ass Bulldog with a 6" underbite lol, like the one in Tom And Gerry Razz It's stapled on to the front of Bobby's old house.

But anyway, I don't think the sign protects u from liabities. It's the same as on building sites, they have to put up signs 'beware of hole' or deep excavation, beware' but if someone falls in they can still sue the poo outa them lol
Exactly Harry, the law needs to be overhauled, as for the Gaurd dogs, if i seen dogs in a factory or a strange dog i didn't know. I wouldn't go over to pet them, one minute they are nice, the next they will attack. The poor dogs have to be destroyed the person ends up scarred psychically and possibley mentaly. We are encouraging people, especialy children, not to approach a strange dog or you are unfamiliar with. You know all of this already, so im not having a go at you Razz
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:57 pm

There is a local builders merchant in town that got into trouble bout 10 years ago because his guard dog GSD bit someone. The circumstances were strange because the man on his way home from the pub decided to take a pee. Everybody suspects that the man deliberately peed on the dog through the iron railings. This GSD was very loud and i remember seeing him at night he gave you plenty of warning. there is no way this man could have not seen this dog. Anyway ya man nearly lost his willy. the builders had to compensate ya man and was made put up a secondary fence inside the original one. I think it is illegal for a guard dog to be able to reach you through the railings.

Be careful Harry dont get too close to that dog you never know what you might lose. affraid
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Shocked lol! lol!
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Liability of owner for damage by dog.

21.—(1) The owner of a dog shall be liable in damages for damage caused in an attack on any person by the dog and for injury done by it to any livestock; and it shall not be necessary for the person seeking such damages to show a previous mischievous propensity in the dog, or the owner's knowledge of such previous propensity, or to show that such injury or damage was attributable to neglect on the part of the owner.
[GA]

(2) Where livestock are injured by a dog on land on to which they had strayed, and either the dog belonged to the occupier of the land or its presence on the land was authorised by the occupier, a person shall not be liable under this section in respect of injury done to the livestock, unless the person caused the dog to attack the livestock.
[GA]

(3) A person is liable in damages for any damage caused by a dog kept on any premises or structure to a person trespassing thereon only in accordance with the rules of law relating to liability for negligence.
[GA]

( 4 ) ( a ) Any damage or injury for which a person is made liable under this section shall be deemed to be attributable to a wrong within the meaning of the Civil Liability Act, 1961 , and the provisions of that Act shall apply accordingly.
[GA]

( b ) Sections 11 (2) (a) and 11 (2) (b) of the Statute of Limitations, 1957 , shall apply to such damage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:27 am

This was differant lol, they sit around at the front gates all day, and do pretty much the same thing my dogs do when I come home from school Razz they're funny, but I still wouldn't jump the wall Razz
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by russell aslett Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:05 pm

since the law has changed about protectin your house and property , im under the impression you are allowed to protect your property by any means necessary : ie: shot gun , baseball bat , angry dog , I have "DO NOT ENTER GUARD DOGS ROAMING" on my gates . If anyone breaks in to my place god love them between bats , blades and dogs they will be in some serious poo Twisted Evil
russell aslett
russell aslett

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:51 pm

lol i certainly wont be going to your house for tea lol! lol and its not the dogs im worried about ether lol! lol!

no seriously well said i do remember a house being broke into not far from me, the owner was in the house an caught the guy gave him a beating to get him out and ended up being charged for it, i didn't know that the law had being changed but its certainly about time people have the wright to protect them self in their own home.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by clubby Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:00 pm

Dont think all of the guard dogs foaming at the mouth are that great at guarding, yrs ago my brother had a dobi and walked by a building site with 2 roths in the yard , he would get the leftovers from the guys he worked with at lunch and bring it to the dogs at night . 1 was big and the other was the size of a small horse , anyway after the xmass party the brother tanked up on free beer decided he was bringing them home cause he felt so sorry for them , and he did . He climbed over the fence and took them AWL. Needless to say he couldnt hide the two ofthem from his wife but 1 did stay with him and the biggest 1 decided it stood a better chance back at the yard than with his wife Laughing I took the one that stayed and called her tubby because she waight 8 st and il never forget her , she was the most affectionate loveable dog you could have , i had her for 5yrs after that but she got tumers
on her front leg so she had to P/S . I woulnt recomend it but im glad she had a few good yrs , guard dogs havea horrible life .
clubby
clubby

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:24 am

yeah i do agree some people can be very cruel to dogs, i think some dogs are bred for guarding and can enjoy it but they also need care and attention just like other dogs, i also think that the bark and size/breed is what frightens people there's really no need to be bad to them to do their job, i have also come across people that love their dogs and use them for this kind of work too, i suppose like many different things there's always the good and the bad.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mark Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:44 pm

shag the sign...kids around my place would steal it...if someone gets bit by my dogs,when they were not invited in in the first place...well dogs will be eating until he is gone...no summonz.....

but ya..the the gaurds called and told me get insurance for them..just incase...kani,,well he got off the lead...and walked in front of a car..car was just coming out of the petrol station...it was the ****** driving that startled kani...
all he done was just avoided the car,,following me...
BUT,,,HE A PITBULL...AND I HAVE SCUM NEIGHBOURS..

but the back gate..
i live in a kinda posh area...well the neighbours think they are anyway...
if i put up a sign saying pitbull....they would complain...

bad enough that even if i let him out the front garden they phone the gaurds...

mark
mark

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:41 pm

mark wrote:shag the sign...kids around my place would steal it...if someone gets bit by my dogs,when they were not invited in in the first place...well dogs will be eating until he is gone...no summonz.....

but ya..the the gaurds called and told me get insurance for them..just incase...kani,,well he got off the lead...and walked in front of a car..car was just coming out of the petrol station...it was the ****** driving that startled kani...

but the back gate..

they all sound like a-holes to me... think they would know by now there not gonna eat them
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:31 pm

mark wrote:shag the sign...kids around my place would steal it...if someone gets bit by my dogs,when they were not invited in in the first place...well dogs will be eating until he is gone...no summonz.....

but the back gate..

Sure everyone knows Pits are illegal anyway, and all the owners are murderers who have broke out of jail and are on the run from the law, fighting their dogs every 4 days in every town on the route...

I really can't wait to get my Pit and see how the number of visits I get from cousins decreases Wink I don't see it as a negative lol
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:37 pm

lol pits are not illegal here in Ireland harry,

since i got the extension done for my little boy i dont have a side door anymore, i used to have a sign up that said "" watch out dogs about" its not as intimidating but lets people know you have dogs, i have seen some mad signs out there with pictures of dogs snarling etc, i wouldn't use 1 of them keep it simple i say.

or get a sign that says beware of the owner and not the dog lol!
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:48 pm

haha you should have that one up lilly..... beware of owner
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content