Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how many dogs do you have?

3 posters

Go down

how many dogs do you have? Empty how many dogs do you have?

Post by ste Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:44 pm

hey just wondering how many dogs you all have? and also how much, if any, dog aggression you need to deal with? just wondering because i have a pup on the way and am hoping they get on....my bitch lucy is spayed and im getting a male so hopefully it will work out

ste

Back to top Go down

how many dogs do you have? Empty Re: how many dogs do you have?

Post by alan.g Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi ste. I have two and rarely see them snap at each other esp since missy was a pup when we got her. Just give them both time to get used to each other and they should be ok. I try to avoid them playing any tug of war etc with each other because they get so into it and i have had to stop them as it looked like it was going to turn nasty. Rufus also dont like sharing his toys either!! The main thing i would say is just try to supervise their playtime as much as you can. Hope this helps. Al
alan.g
alan.g

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:15 pm

i have 3. the only time i had a problem was over a stick. they only snapped at each other it wasnt a full attack. they both drew blood but they didnt lock on to each other. as alan says u have to supervise and dont let it get to ruff. its a nitemare indroducing a pup to a mature dog but 2 weeks later you cant seperate them. watch out at the start when feeding because your mature dog wont be used to someone messing with her food, the puppy doesnt know his place yet,

Back to top Go down

Post by ste Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:23 pm

thanks lads,yeh i really hope theres no problems but i dont tink der will be,im considering having the male neutered and the bitch is already spayed,would u step in if the pup is out of line or let the more mature dog teach them?(i would step in just looking for opinions)

ste

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:12 pm

i step in. i was a week solid saying "ah ah NO!" if you put in a lot of time at the start it will be over quicker. it is hard word and everytime i got a pup i remember thinking did i make a mistake getting the pup but it all will be worth it in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Well i was told that two bitch's wont get on and will kill each other 2 and a half years later and all good here, they have there little moments but its never serious no blood ever.
I got them both spayed so that prob helps for territory rights and no stroppy girls when its that time of the month Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by ste Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:57 am

yeh we all know with this breed there's a possibility of dog aggression but im trying to avoid any kind of aggression as joe public sees any aggression from a pitbull and thinks vicious killer and you cant explain the difference between dog aggression and human aggression Rolling Eyes yeh i think when their spayed or neutered it takes a lot of potential trouble out of the mix

ste

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:36 pm

ste wrote:hey just wondering how many dogs you all have? and also how much, if any, dog aggression you need to deal with? just wondering because i have a pup on the way and am hoping they get on....my bitch lucy is spayed and im getting a male so hopefully it will work out

hi ste, i hope your ready for your ears to be burnt off you all geek
i know how much of a challenge it is to keep all my dogs in harmony and not for the reason of their breed as any breed can become dog aggressive. its always about are we sure we are up to it to take on more than 1 dog?? dog aggression is not something a dog is born with, its something they Develop over time due to lack of socializing, lack of both mental and physical exercise and Discipline. a dog that is lacking these 3 steps will start to show signs before been aggressive its up to us to notice these signs early and ask our self why our dogs is showing them.. as an owner taking on 3 dogs its really hard work and very rewarding but its down to me to make sure all my dogs needs are fulfilled in the run of a day every day, ROUTINE exercise along with watching out and correcting unwanted behavior is the only answer to preventing and curing dog aggression.

Last edited by celticpitbulls on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Deco#54 wrote:Well i was told that two bitch's wont get on and will kill each other 2 and a half years later and all good here, they have there little moments but its never serious no blood ever.
I got them both spayed so that prob helps for territory rights and no stroppy girls when its that time of the month Laughing
thats also very true, its not about gender ether its about fulfillment . i also have 2 girls here never any problems ether.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alan.g Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:00 pm

driftervin wrote:i step in. i was a week solid saying "ah ah NO!" if you put in a lot of time at the start it will be over quicker. it is hard word and everytime i got a pup i remember thinking did i make a mistake getting the pup but it all will be worth it in the end.

I have to say i thought getting a second dog would be easier than it is. Its hard to give them both the attention they both want/need and training seemed a lot tougher the second time around(still struggling with house-training missy). However I feel its worth the extra effort as they can be company for each other when im out etc. Since i got missy, rufus has lost most of his seperation issues... No more howling down the house... no more trying to eat his way out of the kitchen..no more complaints from next door.. His new way of dealing with me leaving his to sit and blank me before i go!! Still get the same greeting when i get back though(a little madness is good sometimes)
alan.g
alan.g

Back to top Go down

Post by ste Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:01 pm

would you all leave your two or more pitbulls unattended? every american site says never do it under any circumstances no matter how well the dogs get on,whats your opinion? i personally wont risk it,my two will be separated when im not there

ste

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:33 pm

ste wrote:would you all leave your two or more pitbulls unattended? every american site says never do it under any circumstances no matter how well the dogs get on,whats your opinion? i personally wont risk it,my two will be separated when im not there
thats a very good question ste, im not in the least bit saying every1 should leave their dogs together alone, i would go on my own gut feeling on my own dogs as you will know them best. i have all my 3 pittys together since i got them, i never separate them even when i go out. i find that i have some rules of my own when im going out, i always make sure they have some exercise and always make sure there is nothing around that can trigger a fight such as toy's, treats etc.. most people i know can leave their dogs alone together without any problems.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down