Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

owning a Pit bull without a backyard

4 posters

Go down

owning a Pit bull without a backyard Empty owning a Pit bull without a backyard

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:19 pm

hello all,
Just wondering if anyone can hopefully give me some advice. am considering a pit bull for a pet but I have one major issue, I don't have a backyard. I have a lovely house thats warm and dry and comfy. large enough, its a cottage so its not HUGE but it does have a large downstairs area and the bedroom is upstairs. until now I have had my mind set on a staffie for a few different reasons, one of which being that I know they can live in smaller spaces as long as they are given adequate walks and exercise. does the same hold true for pit bulls? half of me is leaning to a pit bull for a couple of reasons, one being their character. they are just different from any other breed in my opinion. with this said, where in Ireland can one find real american pit bulls? I am from america originally so thats also part of the attraction. anyway any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Back to top Go down

owning a Pit bull without a backyard Empty Re: owning a Pit bull without a backyard

Post by eamo s Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Hello Nesta, the Pitbull can adapt to nearly any enviroment. Provided they are giving the proper exercise to burn off any unwanted energy. The downside is, its advisable to keep the pup confined to a safe place when you are out. Im sure some members on this forum have come home, and their house is turned upside down. Greeted with a smiley face and a wagging tail. There is a pure American Pitbull up for adoption on the forum. there is also another dog fully house trained and neutered up for adoption too. PM Celticpitbulls for details Wink
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

owning a Pit bull without a backyard Empty Re: owning a Pit bull without a backyard

Post by YENALED Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Hello Nesta you are welcome to the forum. You mention you haven't any space outside but are willing to exercise your dog, do you have somewhere you can let your dog out for a pee/poop without any risk of the dog getting away? Its not easy having to supervise that every time your dog needs to relieve itself. Because of the regulations in this country you could not risk your dog getting out if there wasnt a secure area. That really is my only concern as I myself have had to take certain measures when letting Hank out during the day. We have a large space both front and back of the house but if he gets into the front there isnt much that can stop him from getting out onto the road. While he was small it was quite safe but now that he is almost 1 the walls and gates are not high enough to contain him.

YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 pm

thanks for the tips so far! and thanks for the welcome.

YENALED1: I do have an area outside to allow for toilet time, its also an enclosed cul-de-sac which is quite handy.

so you guys think a cage for when I am out would be a good idea? would the dog also sleep in this? how would an adopted get on with being told to go in a cage if he has no experience of one perhaps?

thanks for the help

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:21 am

welcome to the forum, i lived in a flat when i got my first pit bull, he was a puppy so very easy to train etc, he would need lots of exercise at least 2 good walks a day, if he wanted to go out for a pee he would stand at the door and let me know, that's the only thing about not having a back garden but in my opinion if this doesn't bother you and you are willing to give a dog good exercise than you shouldn't have any problems,

the crate is very good for dogs, i have never used 1 as i am a full time carer for my son i spend most of my time at home o never felt the need, if you get a puppy i think its a real good idea to introduce, if you are planning on getting an older dog an maybe not used to a crate its very easy to crate train them with a positive introduction, ether way what ever you decide we are here to help and give any advice to help you both.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 am

I think the best way to introduce an older dog to a crate is to first bring them for a HUGE walk and have them absolutely exhausted (In the case of an adult this could be maybe go and climb a mountain or 10 mile walk lol) When you get back home, just put him in and praise him and make it really nice and comfy for him to chill in Wink

Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:33 am

thanks for the advice Harry. when we say crate, we do mean the metal doggy house thats fully enclosed and kept indoors yeah? not a open bed type of affair

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:36 am

Yup Wink

Where in the country are you?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 am

I live in Dublin :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:42 am

You'll be able to call on a good few people for help so :L

Most of our members in Dublin, then there's a couple on the West side lol
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:49 am

lol harry im only 10 mins away from josh lol
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:57 am

Harry wrote:I think the best way to introduce an older dog to a crate is to first bring them for a HUGE walk and have them absolutely exhausted (In the case of an adult this could be maybe go and climb a mountain or 10 mile walk lol) When you get back home, just put him in and praise him and make it really nice and comfy for him to chill in Wink

Good idea Harry. At the beginning it is also a good idea to use the crate/cage to feed your dog in. If you can get a good big marrow bone from the butchers only let him have it when he is in the crate. That always works for me because if you give a dog a nice tasty bone he will nearly always run away to eat it in private so a crate makes a secure place for him to have piece and quiet while he enjoys his reward.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:58 am

Or just do like Mike 7 and put everyone else inside the crate Razz
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:28 am

Harry wrote:Or just do like Mike 7 and put everyone else inside the crate Razz

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down