Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pit bull and cats

5 posters

Go down

pit bull and cats Empty pit bull and cats

Post by Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:14 pm

so, I have my heart set on getting a doggie. maybe a pit bull. thats been long decided. what I am wondering is.. what about a cat too? I know this is kind of a 'volatile' question and every dog is different and every cat etc. I really really would love to have a dog and cat together living happily but I guess my predicament is, the cat has to be there first from everything I have heard. there is a lovely friendly little cat up in Stoneybatter that I could take but what if I take it and then the dog I fall in love with does not like the cat or vice versa? I am left with a cat that is preventing me from getting my doggie but I really want a cat too, I really do. I want a doggie more though. I know its a bit of a weird question and there certainly is not one single easy answer. just wanted some advice or maybe some stories from anyone here. I read the thread about Tyson and he seems okay with cats and I have seen so many videos on the net with big huge tough pit bulls and their best friend the house cat who they sleep with, thats what I want!!! am I being too ambitious to hope for that? thanks again

Back to top Go down

pit bull and cats Empty Re: pit bull and cats

Post by SarahB58 Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Well if a dog (when its a puppy) is brought up with a cat, they might'nt hate each other, and they could get along grand. Some of my friends have dogs and cats and there's never any scraps between them, they get along fine :).
SarahB58
SarahB58

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Well from my own experience with my dog and cat it can work even if the dog isnt used to cats. We got our dog when she was a year or so old and she had be encouraged to attack small animals but she got used to the cat easily once she new her place in the house. I think it also helped that my cat was used to dogs and would never run from the dog and if the dog wasnt careful she'd get a smack on the nose lol! ... I think it would be a good idea to get a puppy so it grows up with the cat would seem like a safer idea

Back to top Go down

Post by clubby Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:40 pm

I have 4 cats and never realy had to much trouble intriducing a new dog to the cats , it just has to be done slowly , the shitzu (in the galery) had to have been the worst , he would be fine while you watched him but turn your back and he just coulnt help himself , after a while he just gave up .
When a new dog came i put its bed beside the rad and hooked their lead on the rad so the cats were safe and the dog got used to them walking back and forth , i would do the same in the evening watching tv , i would put the lead round my leg so they cant pounce , its realy only temperary just so they all have time to settle , my oldest cat(17) would walk straight up to them and slap them , shes done it to them all except a foster staffie i had for 3 weeeks , they all steered clear and i knew they wernt safe with him .
A dog thats Familier with cats would be a doddle but you would still need to tread carefully , my dog lives with 4 but still goes mad at my mothers cat thru the padio doors , you would think hed never seen one before .
Been at home during the day speeds things up to , as would a crate trained dog where they could observe each other at a safe distance .
Iv had rabbits to and in the summer they would all be loose in the garden together (even the shitzu) , i got a great kick out of that i have to say so anything is possible as long as its not rushed and common sense prevails .
Good luck .
I think also its easyier if its a kitten and in the door first rather than dog first , maybe its because the dog feels like its on the cats patch rather the dog feeling the cat is invadeing his space ..if that makes sense . cats like to have somewhere high to escape to and feel secure .
clubby
clubby

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:47 pm

I dont think it is a forgone conclusion that a dog and cat will always get on if introduced properly. Cats where always here years ago and lived side by side with my dogs. But as time went on because our cat had no boundaries the bulldogs became very territorial and began to slowly dislike the cat. If the cat came in and sniffed an empty dog bowl there was trouble and eventually all four bulldogs had it in ther heads to kill the cat when ever they saw it. We managed to keep the cat safe for a few years but as she began to get on in years and slow up a bit the male dog caught her. He chased her through to the field where he got hold of the cats tail as she was jumping the wall he was so intent on killing the cat he got caught up on the electric fence and still wouldnt let go. By the time I had run to rescue her she had gone but her poor tail I'm afraid was in butches mouth. We found the poor thing but she was in shock so I decided it was kinder to put her to sleep. I know in my heart and soul I could spend every minute of every day getting the dogs used to cats but there is no way I could ever trust them. That is only my personal opinion I have seen first hand how harmony turned to disaster. I dont know if its down to breed or just character of a dog but once that prey drive starts there is little we can do to stop it where cats are involved. Cats are very hard to control and they manage to get into places and situations that can become dangerous.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by clubby Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:45 pm

I guess iv just been lucky everyone jelled , or maybe my cats rarely mouve their lazy asses out of the house .
I have a white deaf cat (goes nice with the shortsighted white dog lol) with a death wish , my neighbour has greyhounds in a run close to me and pheobe likes nothing better to sit on the posts of their runs and torment them ,dont know how shes still here .
I agree not all dogs will live side by side with a cat but its great when they do .
clubby
clubby

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Yes it must be nice to have them all getting on.... the trouble between the bullies and the cat in our house aged me about 10 years lol!
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:23 pm

I wouldn't think it's worth it, wouldn't be nice to come home to a blood stained house and a very happy doggie :L

Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:24 pm

eeeeeeeek...

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:26 pm

You have to remember what these dogs were bred for.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:23 pm

yah naturally but thats not a "rule" .. every dog is different with different temperment.. any dog can eat a cat, and most of them want to! pit or not a pit

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Yes that is very true nesta all dogs are capable of killing or hurting a cat. I have heard of many homes where dogs and cats get on really well but it all depends on the individual dog and cat for that matter. We always had a cat in our house when I was growing up some had such a lovely temperament I would think they would get along with most nice natured dogs but there were 2 cats in particular that would test the patience of any dog. lol!
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:52 pm

well none of my dogs would get on with a cat at this stage, i think both would need to have somewhat young encounters with each-other at some stage to be 100% all would be ok, maybe if you want to get both ether you get both as puppy and kitten or you will have to maybe search some rescues that have cats used to dogs and dogs that are used to cats, its not impossible to have both living together but id be careful if you are going to choose both as adults.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 pm

yeah looks like it will be just a doggie for me at this point. ah well, another day maybe. :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down