Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would this work?

+2
celticpitbulls
Harry
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would this work? Empty Would this work?

Post by Harry Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:12 pm

I've been thinking about when I have my Pit, and leaving him alone. With my other dogs, I never have anything to worry about, I know they won't have a fight, Ruby knows Bobby is the boss, he lets her have things like toys and stuff after a few mins, but around more valuable items like food, bones etc. he takes the best one and Ruby knows to leave it with him. But I don't think I could trust my Pit to let things go so easily, like the member Melanie, who's dogs got on fine but then one day... well you know what happened, and I personally don't think it's worth the risk. I'd probably lose Bobby and Ruby, and then have to get my APBT put down, and it's really IMO not worth it.

So I think i'd keep him indoors during the day, bring him for a cycle early in the morning, leaving at 7am, and getting back around 7.40 to tire him out (4 mile cycle, when he's an adult of course, and a walk before he's old enough to cycle) and then feeding him, going inside and me getting ready for school and then just before I go to school putting him in the crate at around 8.40-45ish. So he'd be in the crate from that time 'till probably around 1.00 when my mam finishes work and then he'd just be in the crate for 4 hours aprox. and i'd bring him for a walk with B+R after school like i usually do.

Do you think that would work? Is 4 hours too long? It's just I have alot of valuable things in my room, Xbox, Laptop, School stuff etc. and I don't want that getting chewed up. The 'goal' with keeping him inside would for me anyways, being able to leave him alone without the place getting chewed up.

With a good bit of exercise like he'd be doing, would he be happy in a crate? and then hopefully when he's gone past the real chewing stage i'd be able to leave him out with no problems.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Would this work? Empty Re: Would this work?

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:37 pm

i think you have most of it rite harry, you will need to keep the energy levels down specially if your going to be leaving him, not sure about 4 hours though could you not build a small pen beside the other 2 for when he gets bigger? then that way he's not having to come out of a crate all excited after 4 hours to meet them, i would leave him as long as possible with the other 2 from when you get him, that way you wont need to leave him alone when your in school and he's only a puppy if something was to break out he can't hurt any of the dogs and he's also learning where in the pack he stands before getting older when he'll put it up to them..
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Well we do have the kennels, it's not done yet, but there's a bit of a prob between me and my dad, he thinks there should be a solid metal door at the front of it, to stop wind and rain getting in and keep the dogs more sheltered and he's concerned about Ruby's pups if there was a litter in bad weather, trying to keep them as sheltered as possible, and I know that's very important, but I have my thing about my Pit, and wanting to keep him out of harms way so to speak, I want a door that's more open so that he's not locked up in the dark, and so he can see out etc.

I'll talk to him tomorrow and see what we can do, maybe 2 layers of doors, one solid for colder weather and at nite, and one meshed/grilled for daytime.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 pm

lol looks like you have it worked out already harry..
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Better to have it worked out now than to be trying to come up with something after I have my dog lol cheers
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:52 am

i crate the pups when im out had a bad experience with a dog i had running a muc when i was gone. pups just sleep and when i let them out they have to sit and calm down before there allowed out. they have that down to a tee. i also crate them at night and have never had any problems coz there in it since there tiny babies. once there physically and mentally excerised they will conk out. i cant leave them out just yet coz they will annoy sassie too much. daisy and vito just want to play all the time so it gives sassie a break from them. ill take them out when there abit older and passed the lets chew everything stage.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:26 pm

I do the same with Hank although I am lucky enough to be able to take him & Delilah with me everywhere i go. If they are going to be in the car on their own for more than a few minutes I put hank in the crate. Delilah is probably the biggest problem and often the only thing from stopping her going for hank is me being in the same room. Harry you will have to go with the flow, have a basic plan but you will have to be willing to change it now and again. the rule of thumb is always have a plan B. This goes for any breed of dog when you start to add to the numers in your pack it can change your whole routine and it also becomes harder for anyone else to mind them. You Mammy is very good to step in when your at school and it is a little easier when the new dog is a puppy. You have to think about what will happen in a few years when your possibly away from home at University will your Mammy & Daddy be prepared to help take over during the week.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:09 pm

So pretty much all of you are of the opinion that I should leave him with my own dogs until he starts to mature, and gets more... I don't know what the word is, I dunno like more cheeky, or chances his luck more, and when I see that i'll have to keep him secured.

Jules, yes my Dad has said if i'm doing anything good in Collage/Uni that he'll mind him lol.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Pups learn so much from older dogs more than we can ever teach them. I believe they get a good start in life if they are able to grow up within a pack. I have spent so many hours watching all the dogs together and how they establish themselves within the group. It doesnt always run smoothly and there are times when 1 dog can upset the mood and everything changes. This often happens when a puppy is starting to mature like Hank and decides he no longer wants to take orders from 1 of the others or the ball they are playing with he is willing to risk life and limb and try and take it off them. thats when you have to be there to observe what happens and be prepared to step in and put the strong dog(pit bull) in his place. As long as you are sensible and observant you will know when changes have to be made so that the harmony of your pack is always good. You are lucky to have your Dad to help you when your at school and possible away at coll/Uni.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Yea, I guess I probably am. Ahh well, sure what else would they be doing lol.

Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:51 pm

ud really have to wait til you see the dog and get to kno its personality to kno wot to do. we can leave soze and shelby together, soze and sassie, soze and pups, shelby and pups but a big no no on shelby and sassie. sassie gets on great with the pups but they can do her head in coz they wanna play all the time so thats why i crate the pups at night and when im going out. all dogs are different some get on and some dont so its really a wait and see thing. then u will know how to deal with the situation. the pups have learned so much from being around sassie so it is good to have them together but i also think its nice to get a break away too. much like humans need a break away from each other for abit.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Who is this Sassie?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:03 pm

she my other dog. have her 5 1/2 yrs. was told when i when to buy her she was a pit but she aint but i love her all the same. she in one of the pics with the pups i put up. can get pics of her coz she runs when she sees the camera so ive to do it on the sly
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:06 pm

This is what I have to work with:

-Whole Thing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
From Left to Right.. my Pit, Bobby, Ruby + Pups (that's why it's big lol)
Ruby in the Pits one temporarily, until the big one is done.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:06 pm

And Bobby doing his Asian Dude impression.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Ahh Fook, the pics all got cut off on the right side, any way there's another kennel on the right that goes the whole way out, and has a full size door.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:10 pm

ah your grand then.... ive my lot in the house so thats why ive to do it... looks deadly
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:31 pm

I'll get better pics 2moro, but ye get the idea.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:33 pm

looks huge harry... lots of room, nice and dry
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Will have to add a stud wall on to the sides tho, unless I want him in their for approx 3sec lol
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:46 pm

haha id give it one
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Close the door, and by the time i've turned around have him beside me again lol
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 pm

ha ha no training needed
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:04 am

some reall good advice giving here harry, and fair play for asking others opinions about a bigger pack, you'll have a great chance of getting things to work out as you will have your dog from a puppy, just 1 question i have to ask because this could be 1 of your major problems in later years no matter how good they get on, is 1 of your males getting the snip?? cos when your bitch comes into heat for them 3 weeks hormones will be all over the place and training, socializing doesn't even come into it when you face mother nature, this could cause a really bad situation for the 2 Unneutered males.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am

cant wait for you to get your dog pal you'll be well able for him... nice pens too, i'm going to do my one up now soon dont use it much tho Roxy will be staying in the house i've a crate for her to go for a hour or 2 max a day and when she just comes back from a walk she just wants sleep lol any news on when you'll have your dog?
slattery9104
slattery9104

http://www.christopherslattery.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum