Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it to cold for the dog to be outside?

+3
YENALED
Harry
slippy1979
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is it to cold for the dog to be outside? Empty Is it to cold for the dog to be outside?

Post by slippy1979 Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:59 pm

It freezing out and the dogs keep ripping the front of there kennel, sick of fixing it they are kennel destroyers. Should I bring them in in this cold are will they be ok?
slippy1979
slippy1979

Back to top Go down

Is it to cold for the dog to be outside? Empty Re: Is it to cold for the dog to be outside?

Post by Harry Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Have u fattned them up at all?
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Is it to cold for the dog to be outside? Empty Re: Is it to cold for the dog to be outside?

Post by slippy1979 Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:21 pm

not really man they are pretty much the same as always
slippy1979
slippy1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 pm

My dogs are fine outside, but they have big coats lol.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:07 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I have 5 dogs in the house because of the hard frost. Gracie and brock are in the kennels but their sleeping area is in the sheds. I got a bale of straw this morning i find it makes nice warm beds. they usually have duvets but the wet feet are making them too wet to sleep on so while it stays like this I will bed them on straw. I have to keep filling their water bowls because in the morning and evening they are frozen solid. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:19 am

My dogs have wood chip for there bed and they seem to like it
every time I go puttin them down to bed Ruby runs down infront of me. Wink
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:41 am

Straw is a great idea, alot of kennels use straw, i personaly wouldn't use it. Zed would pull it out all over the pen. I have him in an old coal shed converted ito a kennel. I put up a heavy mahogany door, i cut a square out of it, so he can get in and out. Also inside the shed, he has a kennel built into the sged with a wooden floor, so he wont be on concrete. If your dogs kennel is wide open, i suggest you bring them in, or even if you have a shed. Put them in there at night when its cooler. If they sleep together, they have a better chance of staying warm. As Harry said, are they and fatter, this is important for outdoor dogs. They will feel the cold more if the are just lean. Zed Survived the last 8 years outside on his own, but i would love to bring him in as hes getting older. I just cant trust him, because he still thinks hes a pup and never stayed indoors for any length of time.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:52 am

infor red heat lamp i find it good
lucky
lucky

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:52 pm

The infra red lamps are ideal, if I could build my kennels again I would have a place suitable for heat lamps but as they are now the sleeping area is too low. they are under a concrete shelf so it is impossible to put any form of heat as it would be too close and dangerous.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:52 pm

mine all live indoors so i dont have to worry but i think they would prefer outside in the snow... they love it

pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 am

all my dogs live indoors too. Pittysrules put up a really good post about this topic in the health section of the forum. Some really good tip's there. Pit bulls have a really short coat if u have the choice 2 bring them in2 the house and it suits u then maybe u should even 4 a short time till this bad weather is over.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:56 am

Some people just havent got the choice to bring their dogs in to the house unfortunatley. Only under extreme circumstances that they obiviously would have to be brought in. santa Zed is ok hes not cold, plus hes gettin exercised that bit more, to keep him goin. I do admit some dogs cant handle the cold, any small dog shouldnt be left outside in this weather. Their bodies couldnt cope with such freezing conditions. If your dog is a house dog, it be unthinkable to put them outside in this weather.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:57 am

Eamo I know how hard it is to bring all the dogs in. At least the 2 left out are well climatised. the point about putting a dog out that usually is in the house is very good. I am sure if Delilah or Hank had to spend the night out in this they would probably have hyperthermia the following morning. The 3 girls I have brought in are not in the warmest part of the house, because they would find it hard to get used to any cold temps when they go back to the kennels when this is over. I love having the bullies in though and wish I could leave them in permanently, I had forgotton how nice it is to hear the two of them snoring. Lol
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:26 pm

if you put a indoor dog outdoors in this weather it would prob kill them. shelby is an outdoor dog but she is brought in thru the winter months and when it gets abit warmer shes outdoors again. she seems fine with it.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:28 pm

If I remember right, the house Slippy lives in doesn't allow dogs indoors.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:31 pm

the only good thing is weather your dog is used to indoors or out doors there's tips for both, good point about dogs even being used to outside and not bringing them in altogether as this wouldn't be good for them ether, i think the main thing is to deal with it as best you can and find out as much info as possible to deal with it so every1 is happy and content with the situation, i've learned a lot from the snow this year and about indoor and out door dogs, there's tips for both that are really important and well worth knowing, just 1 more thing how long is this bloody snow going to be here for? its nice for a day or 2 but its just getting in on me now can't get a thing done with it, surprisingly Dublin is really bad this year.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:44 pm

I don't want it to go away Wink

No school Tues, no school Wed, school today and we had the the best day ever lol (4 out of my 9 classes were free classes Razz) and we had the biggest snow ball fight ever at Lunch Wink Sooorrrted :)

and no school tomorrow :)
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:41 pm

yeah i kno it mental where i am... cant get my car out coz im on abit of a hill. walked to the shops and it was real deep. i couldnt tell where the path stopped and road started. im snowed in and it melting my head. its tadg's first birthday 2moro and i havent even got him a present Sad
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:50 pm

ah thats crazy, but if i know you he wont go without anything specially for his birthday Wink
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 pm

no i couldnt do that on his first birthday.... ill sort something
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm

we'll have to wish him a happy birthday from the forum cheers
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 pm

haha he's always on my lap looking at the dogs and smiling when im on the forum.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:04 pm

we'll put up some fireworks for him..
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:06 pm

haha your mad lilly
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:18 pm

I don't think I have school tomorrow :)

The clouds are closing in :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum