Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new pitbull,nearly adult

3 posters

Go down

new pitbull,nearly adult Empty new pitbull,nearly adult

Post by reaper Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:07 pm

right so,hello people.ive recently aquired a pitbull for myself,we had found her stray and she followed us home,i decided to take her in for the night and got attached,we found the owner and he has allowed me to hold onto her...so shes 2 years old and has very recently had a litter of pups from what i know,she sits gives the paw and kindof obeys me,she seems at first glance like she gets on with other animals,but im not willing to risk it,a few questions i have are.
1.will she easily adapt to me as new owner.
2.will she be hard to adapt to a muzzle.
3.are there any papers i need.
4.is it harmful to let her play bite?
5.is it ok to walk her in meantime till she adapts to a muzzle(would not wants the guards to stop me over her)or her to be taken away.

anything yous think i should know would well be appreciated

reaper

Back to top Go down

new pitbull,nearly adult Empty Re: new pitbull,nearly adult

Post by Harry Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:28 pm

1)

Depends on the dog and the person, she might be a very affectionate dog or could be a dog who's very 'stuck-up' lol

2)

Same again, varies from dog to dog. It shouldn't take more than a week or two.

3)

A dog licence, it's less than 15 quid from the post office.

4)

IMO, yes it is, I wouldn't let her do it. But, some people do things differently.

5)

I would try and introduce her to a 'canny collar' or 'halti' they're less restrictive and help the dog get used to a muzzle, they'll also help you control the do aswell and look like a muzzle a bit too.

Hope this helps "-"
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 am

In general Pit bulls are very friendly towards people. They love affection and human company. As long as she knows who's boss you should get along fine.
The muzzle could be the hardest hurdle to get over but time and patience you will get there. Harrys idea of a Canny/Halti collar is very good because it will help her to get used to a muzzle. I use the basket type muzzle, they are in most pet shops or ebay. Again as Harry mentions a dog licence is bought from the p/office for 12.50 and if you know the previous owner you should check if she has had vaccinations. Play biting is a NoNo get toys they love ropes and kong chews. Play biting is ok when they are pups but there comes a time when you have to stop it, she might think she can do this to everyone she meets and then you would get into trouble. Try and get yourself a muzzle and a canny collar and give lots of rewards when you take it off. One important piece of advice is when you introduce the muzzle/canny collar for the first time be ready to go on a walk, the worst thing you can do if your dog puts up any resistance is leave it on in the house. You want to give her something else to concentrate on while she has it on so a good walk is the job. A good brisk walk and dont stop to keep petting her if she looks like she is getting annoyed just encourage her to walk with you and then when you get home take it off lots of praise and a treat. Start by putting it on for five mins she might take to it quicker if she starts to realise she is getting a walk evertime you put it in.
You say you are in dublin would you be able to come to our events on Sunday, great bunch of people and a never ending supply of help and advice, would be nice to meet you and your new found friend. whats her name by the way?
Jules
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reaper Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:47 pm

heya,yeh i may be able to get to one of the events,where do they be held?im actually hoping to move to navan tomoro if all goes well,as the house im in now is not fond of me keeping the dog,i could still get to dublin tho,she would have to muzzled for the events,am i right?im goina pick one up tomoro and give her a try,new house is much better and she has a garden to run a bit in.her name is sheevah and i was told shes 2,i think she may have a bit of weight on her after havin pups recently(before i got her).she seems to drop in fear if i even turn slightly fast,would she be afraid im goin to hit her,and would stand with her head down till you rub her?

reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:29 pm

All info about events can be found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bring the muzzle with you and a crate if you have one as I said earlier all the advice you will ever need now and in the future will be at these events. How long have you had Sheevah? she sounds a little nervous but with time and patience I am sure you will sort any issues she has out.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reaper Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:19 pm

ive only had her 8 days now so im fairly new to this,and yeh she seems quite nervous,i will try my absolute best to get to one of the events cheers

reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down