Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

diet and conditioning

+11
staceyol
united
Philly Mc00
cs
DECANIO
YENALED
Harry
Dr. Chuckles
theoldgit
celticpitbulls
tommy1985
15 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

diet and conditioning - Page 4 Empty Re: diet and conditioning

Post by Savage Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:15 am

not my preference of dog at all. and certainly not a site i stuck around on. after 5 minutes reading i was sickend by the talk No
Savage
Savage

Back to top Go down

Post by brendant Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:32 am

WTF them dogs are on slimmers and steds lol oh and weightwatchers too the state of them extremley unhealty
brendant
brendant

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Mc00 Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:41 am

@Harry, the dogs in those photos look the part alright and I agree with putting a dog through a keep for a show and bringing them down to as close to 0% bf, but to try maintain that through 8 months of the year is impractical you'll agree?

As for sports stars being in peak fitness, there's a huge difference between a premier league footballer and a boxer reaching there peak fitness, boxing like dog fighting is weight controlled which totally changes the playing field. A footballer is aerobically fit which is what I want my dog to be, a boxer reaches a peak where they are a razor sharp machine and carry close to 0% body fat, but only for the weigh in and then the weight starts to be put back on to try bring back power. A pro boxer weighs in for a fight 24 hours before the fight, the reason for this is because the body is so exhausted and dehydrated from the weight cut that it is medically dangerous for them to fight any sooner. Where as Wayne Rooney sits at home relaxing the day before a match to make sure he is rested because his sport requires short bursts of speed mixed with power sustained over 90 mins. He doesn't have to worry about what weight he is to the pound the day before hand.
This is the reason most pro boxers only have one or two fights a year because of what the body is put through to make weight.

@ United, I think it's you that likes to put words in peoples mouth, in my post I agreed with a dog being put into a keep for a show, but I said it's impractical to keep them at that weight, you've ageed that the dog needs to put on weight after that though but you make it look like your telling me exactly what I've just said, it's laughable and anybody with a brain reading your comments can see that.

When you say I know "out" because I said the heavier dog has a better chance of fighting a virus again you are the one putting words in peoples mouth, I am talking about an aerobically fit dog versus a dog stripped to the bone for a match. For instance take said dog to have a match weight of 40 pound and at said weight picks up a virus, the same dog aerobically fit at 42 or 43 pound pics up the same virus, which dog has the better chance at fighting that virus? I think we all know the answer.

Your not the only one to talk to dogmen I too have spoke to dogmen and they all agree with me on this matter. And I also have a dog that does the tasks she's put to and does them with exception so I won't have you tell me I know "out" because I also know my dogs.
Philly Mc00
Philly Mc00

https://www.facebook.com/phillymcrory

Back to top Go down

Post by pitguy Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:06 am

brendant wrote:WTF them dogs are on slimmers and steds lol oh and weightwatchers too the state of them extremley unhealty
I doubt the dogs are on anything.that's what a pit looks like when they have had a lot of work put in to them.people would look at done dogs on this site and think there overweight soft dogs.even look at the show at campions the other day majority of the dogs that placed were the ones that have been in a keep of some sort to get them in shape.I would agree that it is not a good idea to keep a dog in that shape for that long but for a show why not have them at pit weight if ye want your dog lookin the best.I found though with Romeo that I tried to keep him at his peak for to many weeks and he started to burn out.so what I'm doin now is to get Romeo to that again but only for a couple days where's Gemma I keep at the same pretty much the whole time.she would weigh 40 lbs around pretty much the full year where's Romeo would be 58 lbs fat and 51 fit.you keep a dog on that type of regime it's like a marathon runner training no stop all year round they don't do that they rest in between and get back to there top shape before the run.
pitguy
pitguy

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 am

phil waisting ur time with this, how much work is put in 2 them? I can remember talking to u when u had lilly stripped rite down and both of us noticing she wasnt at her best. Same with hank he was down 2 25 halfkg and still worked a dream but jules also thought just 4 that bit extra she put him back 2 26kg and im sure we all agree from watching each other's dogs progress he is at his peek rite now and this is totally different than the fitness programs for conditioning and maintaining 4 these sports. Dont think u'll win if u only walk ur dog around the block ur trying 2 enhance speed, power and endurance along with other abilitys in athletic events that go on true out the year, if a dog is used 4 other activitys they are not kept in a keep such as the 1s being talked about, why call it a keep and not a keep it up if that was the case lol how the hell could ya keep that up every day ur self never mind the dogs lol this keep some are talking about maintaining and useing 4 athletic events is madness. a dog that is put threw a keep like this is normally put for 8 to 10 weeks and put back on a chain. That keep has conditioned that dog 2 keep going 4 a long period of time for 1 day and its his condition along with his gameness and ability that keep's him alive. That brings a dog to a peek of condition that could not be maintained or used on a weekly bases 4 8 months of the year, i dont care what any1 says u'd burn that dog out and make an old dog out of a young dog. It goes without saying that regardless of weather ur working ur dogs or weather their just a pet that these dogs need a lot of exercise, we all like 2 see a healthy nice conditioned dog too but 4 jesus sake thats a little extrem 2 be keeping up 4 a year 4 both owner and dog,
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:25 am

pitguy wrote:
brendant wrote:WTF them dogs are on slimmers and steds lol oh and weightwatchers too the state of them extremley unhealty
I doubt the dogs are on anything.that's what a pit looks like when they have had a lot of work put in to them.people would look at done dogs on this site and think there overweight soft dogs.even look at the show at campions the other day majority of the dogs that placed were the ones that have been in a keep of some sort to get them in shape.I would agree that it is not a good idea to keep a dog in that shape for that long but for a show why not have them at pit weight if ye want your dog lookin the best.I found though with Romeo that I tried to keep him at his peak for to many weeks and he started to burn out.so what I'm doin now is to get Romeo to that again but only for a couple days where's Gemma I keep at the same pretty much the whole time.she would weigh 40 lbs around pretty much the full year where's Romeo would be 58 lbs fat and 51 fit.you keep a dog on that type of regime it's like a marathon runner training no stop all year round they don't do that they rest in between and get back to there top shape before the run.
i have 2 agree sean those dogs look in tip top and no1 is saying this kind of condition shouldn't be worked on 4 conformation show etc. Its plain 2 see ur dogs look fantastic and a lot of work has being put in2 them they look healthy not skinny and there is a differance. Again sean u have being there and im sure u agree u dont need ur dog conditioned like a pit dog 4 these sports events they just wouldnt last.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitguy Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 am

For doing the sports no it's not practical to be trying to keep a dog at that all the time especially if ur workin couple dogs. But I will for shows or as close as I can to his best cause its not as easy as people think to get the dog in shape.plus I have to condition a dog with a bogey heart lol even harder to get into proper shape
pitguy
pitguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Savage Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:51 am

sean, would you want your guys at 0% body fat for a show or do you like to keep just a little on? to me romeo or gemma always look in shape but ive never looked at them and thought they were emaciated. whereas you do see some dogs that just look starved, which is not a nice thing to see.
Savage
Savage

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 am

pitguy wrote:For doing the sports no it's not practical to be trying to keep a dog at that all the time especially if ur workin couple dogs. But I will for shows or as close as I can to his best cause its not as easy as people think to get the dog in shape.plus I have to condition a dog with a bogey heart lol even harder to get into proper shape

totally agree...
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum