Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue/Black X Red

+2
celticpitbulls
Harry
6 posters

Go down

Blue/Black X Red Empty Blue/Black X Red

Post by Harry Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Does anyone know what colour the puppies would be from that kinda parents, this isn't really a breeding question i'm just wondering, if the father is black and mother red would the pups be Black and Tan coloured or just some pups red some black?

I'm just curious.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Blue/Black X Red Empty Re: Blue/Black X Red

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 pm

the color of the parents don't necessarily have to be the color of the off spring, the grandparents or great grandparents can come true regardless of what colur the family tree is.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Its to do with the chromosomes in each individual dog. Even if you bred 2 Black dogs you arent guaranteed black dogs. Lilly is right too its in the dogs genes would play a major part in looks and colour.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:51 pm

when i used to breed as you can see my 2 dogs are dark but yet 3 of my pups were gold with smut faces, this is what my dogs parents and grandparents looked like along with some that looked like the other side.
again its down to the lines/dogs your breeding from as you can selectively breed for a specific color if you wish.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:59 am

its all about the dominant and recessive genes as lilly said, you'll learn more about in in biology 6th year if you do it harry :) its hard stuff tho lol
slattery9104
slattery9104

http://www.christopherslattery.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:47 am

We did a little bit lol, just abou gingers tho lol.

But just say I bought a Blue Bitch from America and if I wanted blue pups could I cross her with a black dog (who had only black dogs in his lines) or would I have to buy a blue male? Like would the pups turn out alright, like some blue pups some black?

Lol it's getting very complicated, I think i'd just buy a pregnant female, and ship her back again Razz
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:09 am

hahaha

well its the dominant gene the only way of knowing is to get a test done on the dogs genes, its who ever has the most dominant gene colour, the best way would to breed two blues but even then your not gaurenteed all the pups to be blue, if you seen the vid put up about the two dogs on the golf course the father was blue the mother was black and white i think and they had some fawn pups too aswell as blue so its just what ever your look is
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:42 am

It's like if there was 2 recessive fawn in the parents but they were blue, then some pups would be fawn (I think lol)
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:08 pm

no its two dominant alliels in the fawn gene and blue was recessive then they would be fawn,

lets say the dominant blue gene is BB of the father and the mother is blue but has a fawn gene she would be Bb

b is recessive and B is dominant, after drawing out a grid just there all pups would be blue

but if the fathers gene was Bb and the mother was Bb and she had 4 pups you would have 3 blue and one fawn theres loads of other things that need to be taken into account thats the simpelest form of it but with dogs they would have two genes like say BB and bb or a mix of Bb either way simply put unless you pay crazy money to get their genes tested you have no way of finding out the ratio of blue to fawn of blak pups lol

dont do leaving cert Higher leve bio its a pain in the goulies hahahah
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:15 pm

oh yeah thats how merle is rare too its a defect in one of the genes just like albino and the pigments dont come out right thats how you see merle dogs or blue eyed pits, also a lot of albino dogs have health problems such as blindness or defness... the defecet in the genes is 99% caused by line breeding/inbreeding so its best get two preg blue bitches and breed the pups when there of age but make sure there not related

i know breeding is not aloud to be talked about on the forum so if i said too much please edit or delete the post
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Although some of the info would come under the heading 'breeding' it is more like a biology lesson. I really find this subject fascinating but can get a little too complicated. If you can find one of the tables I am sure it would be ok to post might be easier to understand.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:28 pm

i just drew one up myself to figure it out lol i'l look for one online if not i'l draw up a proper one and take a pic and post it so its easier to make out

its really interesting but does get very complicated
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:28 pm

you got a pm jules :)
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:33 pm

heres a link to a site that explains it alot better, its explained with eye colour of humans but i dont think it would be any different to dogs hair colour

its less than half way down the page under the heading

Genetics - What are Genes?
Inside every cell of each living thing (plant or animal) are sets of instructions called genes. The genes provide the instructions on what is the plant or animal, what it looks like, how it is to survive, and how it will interact with its surrounding environment. The genes are strung together in long stands of material called deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and these long strands are called chromosomes. Most living things have pairs of chromosomes (one from each parent), though they may have a different number of chromosomes from another living thing. For example, humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes and the fruit fly has 4 pairs.

Each gene is made up of long combinations of four different nucleotide bases. It is the various combinations of the nucleotide bases that determine everything about a living creature.

The four nucleotides are called:

•adenine(A),
•cytosine (C),
•guanine (G), and
•thymine (T).
The gene for green eyes might have this nucleotide sequence.

AAACCGGTTTTT

The gene for blue eyes might have this nucleotide sequence.

AAACCGGTTTAA

Notice how the nucleotide sequences below are very similar. The only difference being the last two bases. They both describe an eye with the last two characters stating the color of the eye.

Note: These gene formula are not accurate, the correct sequence could be up to several thousand bases long).

Many of the genes have a quality known as Dominate or Recessive. Dominant traits are more common than Recessive traits due to this quality.

Why do I have blue eyes when both my mother and father have brown eyes?

enjoy :)
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:24 pm

I think i'll take a pass on this Einstein mularkey. It is very interesting provided you understand it. If you want a dominant colour and traits, it would have to include alot of inbreeding, yous know how we feel about this sort of practice. It looks like Mr Slattery is more inteligent than hes letting on to be Wink
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by culabula Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Harry wrote:We did a little bit lol, just abou gingers tho lol.

But just say I bought a Blue Bitch from America and if I wanted blue pups could I cross her with a black dog (who had only black dogs in his lines) or would I have to buy a blue male? Like would the pups turn out alright, like some blue pups some black?

Lol it's getting very complicated, I think i'd just buy a pregnant female, and ship her back again Razz

they would all come black,blue is a gene that modifies black.A blue dog has two blue genes acting on black.if it only carried one (blue gene) it would appear black . two black dogs that are carrying a single blue gene could have blue pups.
culabula
culabula

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:41 pm

sorry lads messed up posted some stuff instead of the link to the site will show it now when i fnid it again
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:11 am

culabula wrote:
Harry wrote:We did a little bit lol, just abou gingers tho lol.

they would all come black,blue is a gene that modifies black.A blue dog has two blue genes acting on black.if it only carried one (blue gene) it would appear black . two black dogs that are carrying a single blue gene could have blue pups.

Well that has busted my plans now lol.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:43 am

heres the link to the page i made the mistake with yesterday [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

its explained a little down the page under the heading
Why do I have blue eyes when both my mother and father have brown eyes?

the example uses kids inherreting parents eye colour genes but it is the exact same as how a dog gets its colour off the mother and father
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down