Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog attack

+3
Harry
YENALED
Lisastaff
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dog attack - Page 2 Empty Re: Dog attack

Post by clubby Fri May 13, 2011 8:14 am

I know exactly how you feel , its the same here , and it takes the joy out of going for a walk . Restricted breeds realy means you cant walk your dogs in your own area , so we are restricted to putting them in the car and driveing to the back of beondes . With Fellow they dont have to be out , they just have to bark behind a gate to set him off , its so stressfull for dog and owner instead of being a pleasure .
Il try the water bottle and the other one , only thing left is a tazzer
Laughing
clubby
clubby

Back to top Go down

Dog attack - Page 2 Empty attack

Post by tommy1985 Fri May 13, 2011 10:28 am

the same thing happened me when i had a german shepard a few years ago, he followed us for about a half mile nipping at jakes back feet and i kept leadaing him hoping the dog wud just go away, after a half mile i gave up and gave jake enough slack in the lead just to turn and face the dog but not enough to get a hold of it, he went nuts on the end of the lead barking and snarling and that was enough to convince the dog that what he was doing wasnt a good idea. then i walked on. even just doing that cause neighbours and people in the area to shoot me dirty looks and it was me that ended up the big bad wolf and i didnt even let a fight break out. the person with the dog whos got the biggest reputation is always going to be the culprit. not the person who has the cute wee terrier who roams the streets and nips at everyones children. Where i live even if u knocked on someones door they would deny that they even own the dog or just tell u to clear off they dont care. Its ridiculous

tommy1985

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 13, 2011 12:48 pm

I know im sick of it myself, I think iv lost count of how many times a dogs charged Shadow... Every walk i see as a chance to work with shadow & her dog aggression but its hard for her to not act up when almost every dog she meets charges at her, even if they just want to come for a sniff but their to forward about it shadow just see it as a challenge... Very rarely do i find a nice quiet balenced dog for shadow to meet but when i do she's fine! Im sick of people saying "oh their friendly" or "they just want to play" well my dog wont just play with a dog thats nippin at her or challenging her!! Some people are totally blind to dog behaviour, really annoys me cos when shadow snaps & lunges at their dog i get the dirty looks & the "that thing should be put down remarks" when their dogs the one who started it!

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri May 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Lisa I know it is really frustrating but we have to keep going. I always look at these situations as.... use what ever means is necessary without taking the muzzle off or letting your dog touch the loose dog. Carry a stick about 5ft long or a long piece of that black plastic piping and dont be afraid to use it. Keep telling yourself that no matter how small the offending dog is he is going to get it if he threatens you or your dogs in any way. I know it is hard to take the first swing but when you see the effect it has it gets easier,

I know what you mean about it causing trouble within your pack I was only saying that to Lilly yesterday, If I walk Hank Gracie & Delilah they do turn on each other when things get out of hand but hank has a muzzle so it is easlity sorted once the other dog has backed off.

Dont give up on your bully breeds I know it makes your job of looking after them a little harder but no matter what dogs we have there could still be trouble lurking behind every garden fence. Chin up
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri May 13, 2011 3:09 pm

One of the few pro's of living where I live lol, only the odd dog around and if the worst came to the worst there's plenty of places for the little dog to take a long dirt nap.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sat May 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Lisastaff wrote:Irresponsible of me to suggest taking the muzzle off I know but to be honest, Im absolutely SICK of things like this, this happens to me nearly every single time I walk my dogs, there are so many dogs roaming where I live.
To the point that Im getting out of bullbreeds. Theres no enjoyment in even taking your dog on a walk because you have to watch everyone elses dumb ass dogs. Cant even go to agility training without some SAP having their dog running on the course or anoying the fook out of mine.
Ronnie got charged by Bichon Frise in the week, the fella just watched it as it ran into us and started nipping at his legs, you can only imagine what we said Ian was near strangling Ronnie trying to left him up in the air and boot the other dog away. It also makes it alot harder when you have 2-3 dogs with you. My lot will turn on each other if they cant get near the other dog.

I have gotten to the point were i say to myself the next time Im just going to keep walking and if Ron gets hold of another dog then so be it, whether I do this of not is another thing...I dont like the thought of another dog being hurt but after nearly 5 years of this Im sick to the back teeth of it.
Crossing roads, changing direction cant go inot the local park because all the roaming dogs just hanging around....just boils my piss!

I love my bullbreeds but at the moment there are more cons to owning one than pros.

i think every1 here can relate to everything you have just said there Lisa, and i have to say i 100% agree with you when you mention all the terms and conditions that come with owning a bully breed, i think you hit the nail on the head with every subject that's involved as a responsible owner, that's why its just time to fight back a little, we are getting out there and hopefully able to provide owners with the best advice we can as to keeping their dogs safe, what the public don't realize is how much of a danger they are to these dogs and not the other way around, i think at the moment with the way things are going with IPBTA we are getting that bit of recognition by good people in the doggy world and if we can promote how responsible we are and the positive image of the breed along with emphasizing the fact that 9 times out of 10 the problem is owners of none restricted breeds as they don't think the control of dogs act apply to them and of course minority of bully breed owners.

its horrible that most people cant just go out and have a normal walk with your dog even kept on a leash, its not nice at all when we encounter people that just don't have any respect or consideration, and they most certainly wont take the blame or be blamed for something they have caused, we do unfortunately. Evil or Very Mad
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14, 2011 7:01 pm

I got to the point of not wanting to walk Shadow after we had her for a few months because of how stressful it was but im actually so use to it now it doesnt bother me so much. I always think i can control the situation so i dont panic, i think thats why this gave me such a fright... I hate the stress that comes with owning a powerful breed but when i think back to the other dogs iv owned walking them was stressful too, still had dogs running over etc. But the love, loyalty & entertainment i get from Shadow out weighs all that so i dont mind Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2011 12:04 am

Went to my petshop & they didnt have that air can thingy but im going to keep looking

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Mon May 16, 2011 12:49 am

Just found something on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in the bark control/deterrant tabs (€10)
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtylilrossie Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:46 am

Eli,
Sorry to hear about your frustration with these little trouble makers. Have you ever thought about an airsoft pistol? Firstly tho you must be aware that it would be an offence to carry a replica firearm in public and many airsoft pistols are designed to replicate real firearms. This would be a big no no to carry in public!! But other types are obviously toys being made of a see through plastic. Again I must stress that it cannot resemble a real firearm and it is a serious offence for you to point even your finger a someone if they perceive it to be a weapon.
With that said using common sense and a pistol that looks like a toy/water pistol, it still packs a punch. Been shot many times with these and let me tell you its enough to make me turn and run for cover. It's like a very sharp pinch. I'm sure it would be plenty to distract a little terrier and you would have an effective range of 15m. You can convince the little trouble maker to turn around and head off before it gets anywhere near you. You also get the satisfaction of shooting the little sh1t...... If you google airsoft pistols you will see the difference between a replica type and the "obviously a toy type". Maybe even mention to a local garda if it would be ok to carry an obvious toy in public. If you use common sense and the toy type I can't see a problem.

dirtylilrossie

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:42 am

You can get little yellow/orange one's for like a fiver.... Don't really know if it's a good idea tho Question
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2