Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

your feeling on breeding?

+2
celticpitbulls
ste
6 posters

Go down

your feeling on breeding? Empty your feeling on breeding?

Post by ste Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:08 am

whats everyones feelings on breeding? a response from celticpitbulls on another thread has me thinking about the topic,when i first got my bitch i had a serious think about it because i thought she was a great looking dog with a great temperament so felt a breeding would be a credit to the breed,well after about six months of being approached by absolute scumbags trying to buy her,asking was i gonna fight her,telling me about them fighting their dogs etc etc. i decided to spay her for fear of where the pups would of ended up....the only way i would breed a pitbull is if i had guaranteed homes for the dogs with responsible owners who agreed not to breed the dog but just keep as a pet,this breed just happens to attract more a**holes than decent people unfortunately,has anyone bred their dogs? were u glad u did or did u regret it? anybody plan on breeding in the future?

im gonna keep posting new threads to try get the ball rolling with members here:)

ste

Back to top Go down

your feeling on breeding? Empty Re: your feeling on breeding?

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:38 am

i think you said it all ste lol this is a very important topic and im glad you posted it, and i have to say fair play to you its very clear your girl means a lot to you king

just before i got into rescue and had some insight of where most pit bulls end up because of irresponsible breeders,
i had my dog butch up for stud on a website about 4 years ago, there was only about 2 pit bull adds on that site at that time, after the calls i had from some so called pit lovers i decided to remove the add as i couldn't trust any of the callers, the add is out of date but i still get calls today because the add was not removed by the site even after 100s of emails, i planed the breeding with butch and sasha but only when i had the responsible people there that wanted a pet and some were personal friends of mine, i still have contact with all the owners of my dogs offspring and offered after care to the new owners still today. i also made a contract that if any owner for what ever reason cant keep their dog i was to have him/her back, it was also nice to have some owners that were in favour of having their bitches spayed, it was a little harder for me to convince the human male to have their males done lol but i was happy enough with some. all the people that took a puppy mostly live in the countryside and were as much in love with the breed as i am, so i have no worry's about them at all or their judgment about other pit bull owners, god love them you can only imagine the ear bashing they got from me about the breed lol yes all the reasons you mentioned are how i feel about breeding today, and thats why i stopped, my girls are both spayed, i was like many people out there that didn't see the inside of where 99% of unwanted pit bulls end up. i have seen some cases were a pit bitch would be passed around from pillar to post and only a puppy herself being used as a puppy mill and not a single thing you can do about it only wait till you get the chance to take her out of that mess, i like many people on the board have seen many pit bull with less than 2 hours b4 their put to sleep time is up, and people on this board has rushed out of their way to help taking that dog out of the pound, i have seen some horrific cases with pit bulls, you are so rite about what dogs should be bread a what dogs should not, most of the breeders i have met and asked questions about the breed hadn't got a clue about important questions i was asking, simple questions like the mothers diet, health check ups etc.. some people breed dogs that have faults and they don't even know it, simple faults such as temperament, dogs shouldn't be bread if they are human aggressive, nervous, undershot, HD, or that have Phantom Pregnancies etc.. but these so called breeders don't even know these simple steps nor do they even care. some breed for looks, the pit bull as a breed was never bread for looks, they were always bread for temperament and performance hence the so many different looking types. as you said if the responsible owners where there and good breeders that only breed to enhance the quality of the breed i would have no problems at all, but my problem is the over population of the breed because of the people we mentioned above, because of the scum that want to fight dogs, because of the irresponsible breeder selling to irresponsible owners we have a very big battle on our hands, it really does make sense to Spay and neuter your dogs, people think its just going to cull the breed, believe me there will never be a shortage of pit bulls.
Our question is what can we do about this problem of back yard breeders and pit bulls in the pound??
is there a way we can do something??

in my opinion if there's buyers out there than there will always be back yard breeders, so in other words we need to approach the buyers and put them aware of this,
im sure in time when we build up our COMMUNITY OF APBT LOVERS this will be one of the first events we should go out and promote.
Sleep Sleep Sleep
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alan.g Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:15 pm

My story was that a friend who I walked with was moving house and his parents wouldnt let him take his dog with him as they had gotten to attached to her!!! He was pestering me to breed the pair so he could have a pup for his new house... I didnt pay much attention at first but was attracted to the idea of keeping a bitch to keep Rufus company as i was feeling guilty about starting to work again and he had bad seperation issues as i spent the first two yrs of his life spoiling him and he didnt really leave my side. So i made a deal with the my mate that we would do it on the basis that we got PROPER homes for the Pups. By the time they were due we had 6 great trustworthy homes waiting on their new bullies :)

Now here comes the good part- out popped 14 pups!!(2 died a little later) and we were left with double the trouble if you excuse the expression. It was tough trying to rehome the other six but i know where 8 of the 12 are and my friend said he can still vouch for the other four but if im honest i have my doubts and can only pray/hope they are being well looked after. I still get waves of guilt when i think of what they could be going through or have gone through. So i think i learned my lesson in that respect. It would take alot for me to want to breed again. Its also hard when money is waved in your face by every so called "dogman" that sees ya out walking him.
My only advice to someone thinking bout doing it is read up and like Lil says the stats dont lie. Where will they end up? and what will they go through to get there... Neutral
alan.g
alan.g

Back to top Go down

Post by ste Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:13 pm

celtic raised a good point there,these dogs will never become extinct in this country and if they do...great id be chuffed,because you can guarantee there are still millions worldwide,id be happy enough to have to import and spay/neuter my dogs atleast i'd know there was no idiots giving the breed a bad name in this country,however this will never happen far too many bad breeders breeding over here for that to happen and unfortunately there not breeding stable,reliable old time bulldogs but anything that looks "tough" or big is a apparently a prime candidate for breeding....unfortunately as much as i hate to say it if things keep going the way they are now,with irresponsible breeders dwarfing the minority of decent breeders these dogs will deserve the bad rep which is totally undeserved now,people are breeding these dogs as guard dogs,status symbols etc. these dogs being human aggressive is completely unnatural to them and it will ruin them if it continues,i actually think we need a few really decent breeders purely to preserve the dogs and show how they should be temperament wise but i think it's a difficult issue to give an answer to,you both have done one breeding each and you both seem to genuinely care about the breed so atleast you can say you put some well bred, stable pitbulls out there to represent the breed

ste

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:44 pm

ste wrote:unfortunately as much as i hate to say it if things keep going the way they are now,with irresponsible breeders dwarfing the minority of decent breeders these dogs will deserve the bad rep which is totally undeserved now,people are breeding these dogs as guard dogs,status symbols etc. these dogs being human aggressive is completely unnatural to them and it will ruin them if it continues,i actually think we need a few really decent breeders purely to preserve the dogs and show how they should be temperament wise but i think it's a difficult issue to give an answer to,you both have done one breeding each and you both seem to genuinely care about the breed so atleast you can say you put some well bred, stable pitbulls out there to represent the breed
well said ste, we all know its a people problem rather that a breed problem, this has being going on for decades and i don't think it will ever stop, all we can do is have our own rules in our community of pit bull lovers and for us to try promote as much about responsible ownership as we possibly can. this is what this forum was set up for, we have no breed club for pit bulls in Ireland or most contrarys for that matter, and i think a lot of these lads could be put in the rite direction when they see what we will have up and running for the breed in the near future so fingers crossed we have a good powerful bully community with set rules.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by culabula Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:46 pm

[quote="celticpitbulls"]i think you said it all ste lol this is a very important topic and im glad you posted it, and i have to say fair play to you its very clear your girl means a lot to you king

just before i got into rescue and had some insight of where most pit bulls end up because of irresponsible breeders,
i had my dog butch up for stud on a website about 4 years ago, there was only about 2 pit bull adds on that site at that time, after the calls i had from some so called pit lovers i decided to remove the add as i couldn't trust any of the callers, the add is out of date but i still get calls today because the add was not removed by the site even after 100s of emails

yeah i remember the advert on donedeal,i think i have your phone no. taken down somewhere(never rang it though).is He a big,big black dog from frisco/jeep/redboy lines?.I took the number down as its very rare to find someone in this country who knows the pedigree of their dogs+ hes a beauty.Yeah i know what you mean,I have working terriers for sale on it at the moment and 90% of calls i get are from would be badger baiters,dogfighters and lonely people who are taking a night off from ringing the samaratins.Also ive gotten a few from "undercover" types ,who try to lead you into discussing illegal activities.Im not involved with anything like that ,and dont want my pups to be,so i just hang up.I think someone should either have all the pups accounted for before they are concieved or have the time ,space and resources to look after them all until a good home does come along.I wonder what % of pitbulls make it to old age and die a natural death(and i dont mean in a pit).I can understand you breeding off butch as hes a stuning example ,I was very interested in the pup advert at the time but was living in dublin then and working security so i didnt have the space or time for one.In these recessionary times its impossible to sell anything anyway.I cant talk ,as the bitch in my profile pic is also in pup,but even if she ends up having 9-they are all booked
culabula
culabula

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:24 pm

[quote="culabula"]
celticpitbulls wrote:

yeah i remember the advert on donedeal,i think i have your phone no. taken down somewhere(never rang it though).is He a big,big black dog from frisco/jeep/redboy lines?.I took the number down as its very rare to find someone in this country who knows the pedigree of their dogs+ hes a beauty.Yeah i know what you mean,I have working terriers for sale on it at the moment and 90% of calls i get are from would be badger baiters,dogfighters and lonely people who are taking a night off from ringing the samaratins.Also ive gotten a few from "undercover" types ,who try to lead you into discussing illegal activities.Im not involved with anything like that ,and dont want my pups to be,so i just hang up.I think someone should either have all the pups accounted for before they are concieved or have the time ,space and resources to look after them all until a good home does come along.I wonder what % of pitbulls make it to old age and die a natural death(and i dont mean in a pit).I can understand you breeding off butch as hes a stuning example ,I was very interested in the pup advert at the time but was living in dublin then and working security so i didnt have the space or time for one.In these recessionary times its impossible to sell anything anyway.I cant talk ,as the bitch in my profile pic is also in pup,but even if she ends up having 9-they are all booked

wow that was 4 years ago you have a memory like an elephant lol!

no i don't breed anymore as there's enough pittys out there without me adding to it, although it would be a nice thing if there was rep breeders out there, that breed only to enhance the quality of the breed, pedigrees, only sell to responsible knowledgeable people and be willing to take offspring back if all falls with a home. i think that would cut out a lot of backyard breeders.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by culabula Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Yeah ive a good memory for anything to do with dogs(could tellyou the complete pedigree of any one of my greyhounds back to 1950 off the top of my head,wish i could use it for something else(vegas-card counting)).i thought i had seen him somewhere before when i came on this site.APBTs are a great breed but probably not for everyone,so most people who should own one already do +all the ones in shelters.I think most people who breed a pit bitch for the first time have no idea how many pups she could have,Then are unable to cope with (10- 14 maybe )10 week old pups and end up selling cheaply/giving away to less than suitable owners.
culabula
culabula

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:01 pm

thats true, thats the problem.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:44 pm

<--------- Thats Butch (and me Razz )
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Im not into breeding myself anymore, i bred some thourogh bred Pits. Going back a good few years ago. If you buy a bitch pup out of a big litter, theres a risky chance she could carry that gene to produce big litters too. Sad
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down