Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New law on breeding dogs

+2
SarahB58
TONY
6 posters

Go down

New law on breeding dogs Empty New law on breeding dogs

Post by TONY Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:00 pm

hi everybody. dors anybody have any info on the new law that there are bringing in in the next few days , i belive that its going through the dail tonight, any info or a link would be great, thanks

TONY

Back to top Go down

New law on breeding dogs Empty Re: New law on breeding dogs

Post by SarahB58 Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:14 pm

I heard about it on the news but did'nt hear what it said. I'll have a look for it Wink
SarahB58
SarahB58

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:16 pm

There's going to be a higher dog licence or some sort of charge for having more than 6 un-neutered bitches, I think it's in the region of 200e. IMO this is only the start and next it'll be males and then the number will keep getting lower until it's a pair of dogs or 2 female's etc.

Sad
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahB58 Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Found this:

Ireland Dáil debates Dog Breeding Establishments Bill
Friday, 2 July 2010 20:18
The Dáil has debated the controversial Dog Breeding Establishments Bill including a number of amendments.

Minister for the Environment John Gormley said the Bill would not affect individuals who had less than six dogs, as they were not classified as a breeding establishment.

The minister has allayed concerns of hunt clubs by saying he would allow for continuation of tattooing of dogs for the time being instead of mandatory chipping.

AdvertisementHe said the process would be reviewed after a year, at which point he may seek to introduce micro-chipping, as he believes it is more efficient.

The minister also indicated that he would be asking the Minister for Agriculture to amend the 1958 Greyhound Act to legislate for welfare provisions of greyhounds.

This would exempt registered greyhounds from the welfare provisions of the Dog Breeding Establishments Act.

The minister indicated that he would change from four to six months the minimum age at which a breeding dog would be counted as a part of a breeding establishment.

Fine Gael Environment Spokesman Phil Hogan has criticised the powers of inspection included in the Bill.

He said they undermine the property rights of individuals and go over the top.

Mr Hogan also criticised the penalties included in the Bill, which he described as onerous.

He said there was a lot of new material in the Bill and accused Minister Gormley of attempting to rush it through the Dáil.

Labour's Ciaran Lynch also criticised the rapidity at which the Bill is being rushed through the Dáil.

He said experience had shown that rushed legislation makes for bad legislation, which will create problems down the road.

Fianna Fáil's Máire Hoctor, who had been opposed to the measure, said she welcomed the changes and predicted the Bill would command support when it is voted on next week.

The debate has been adjourned until 2.30pm next Tuesday afternoon
SarahB58
SarahB58

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:19 pm

I hope it doesn't get through...
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:40 am

If anyone has any objections, should have their say. Theres no point in moaning over it if the new law is passed. I only seen a few people outside the Department of Agriculture protesting.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:12 am

well said eamo.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:06 am

It's not the actual law that's bad, but if this gets in for 6 bitches next year 5 then 4 until you have to pay for just 1 bitch.

I don't see how it'llhelp puppy farms tho, it's 1 pup to them of the hundreds they old
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by TONY Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:01 pm

the law will come in and there is nothin anybody can do to stop it, its not as bad as i taught it was going to be , but that could very easly change over the next few years

TONY

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:54 pm

I get the feeling that this has been hanging round for some time and because the county is on its knees at the moment the government are trying to rush it through to get it out of the way. I dont think it is that bad. For once it is soley in the interest of the dogs. There is a lot more too it than fees to be payed for breeding bitches, and I hate to bring the spay/neuter thing up again but it is another advantage of having it done. It is my opinion that the kennel club should have been involved as this law is mainly pointing fingers at the pedigree side of things. Since 2006 the kennel club have kept a data base of all micro chipped dogs so most records of "Breeding Establishments" would already be in a system. There is a section of this law which has to welcomed by any dog lover enthusiast etc.... Part 2 paragraph 14 page 14 it is purely for the welfare of the dogs. I have only skimmed this as yet as I have'nt had time to read it properly if any one has and found something that they think is wrong point it out.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:20 pm

As Lilly once said, will they enforce the law, the same as muzzling certain breeds of dogs. I see alot of people with dogs with no muzzles. Not many are stopped, if they do enforce it fair enough. Once they dont decide to tighten it up next year. It still wont deter backyard breeders either. I must go through the whole lot and see if i can see anything i dont agree with.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:32 pm

I noticed as well it will be an offence to breed unregistered dogs. So when certain websites are flooded with unregistered pups. Will it be an offence for the website owners to advertise these dogs pups for sale. We'll see when the bill is passed, what will happen..
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TONY Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:55 pm

your right it might not be inforced, but they will inforce it when it suits them, and the pit bull will be the target, in mt opinion they will use this law to gain entry to properety that the couldn't get in to other wise. some people will say if you dont have anything to hide it wont matter but some of these animal groups will use anything, if im out hunting rabbits of a sunday morning and the dog gets a few cuts from fences and hedges and then i get a visit the next day, what do you thing will happen?

TONY

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Animal Welfare Bill passed comfortably

08/07/2010 - 18:57:43
The Government’s latest piece of animal welfare legislation was comfortably passed in the Dáil today after it was altered to secure the support of the greyhound industry and pro-hunt lobby.

RISE! (Rural Ireland Says Enough) and the Irish Greyhound Board said it would no longer oppose the planned controversial dog breeding laws after it was passed by more than 40 votes.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Government Chief Whip John Curran met with RISE representatives yesterday where promised amendments to the Bill were agreed.

“Up until yesterday, when the Hunting Association of Ireland met the Taoiseach they had not been afforded a meeting with any member of the Government to discuss this legislation other than going into a minister’s clinic,” RISE spokesman Liam Cahill said.

“So this was the first time across the table.

“People would be quite happy, as was proved yesterday, if they are brought in to talk about the stuff, their objective will be to create good regulations that would work for everyone.”

Amendments to the Dog Breeding Establishment Bill 2009 included allowing dogs in hunt clubs to continue to be traced using tattoos instead of microchips.

The body said it hoped its concerns would be taken on board when regulations were drawn up from the Bill.

The Irish Greyhound Board said it would also support the proposed laws as separate legislation governing the industry would be amended to legislate for welfare provisions, thereby exempting it from the Dog Breeding Bill.

A planned protest by RISE outside the Dáil today was called off.

Under the Bill, a facility breeding six to 18 bitches capable of breeding and over six months old would pay a fee of 400 euro, while places with less than six would not be affected.

The Bill was passed with more than 40 votes as the Labour Party weighed-in behind the Government. Fine Gael and Sinn Féin opposed the legislation.

In a joint statement, animal welfare groups including the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Dogs Trust, Irish Blue Cross and ISPCA said it was vital the legislation was passed.

The body claimed the Bill was never about the rural/urban divide but ensuring that dogs were bred in humane conditions in accordance to European best practice.

Prior to the vote being taken, the coalition group said: “In the face of an extensive, well-resourced lobbying campaign, which sought to muddy the waters at every juncture, we hope that the minister will succeed in passing this long-overdue, much-needed piece of legislation today thus ensuring that Ireland will bring its canine welfare legislation into the modern age and lose the shameful badge of being the ’puppy-farm capital of Europe’.”

Rebel Tipperary South TD Mattie McGrath was expelled from the parliamentary party last week for voting against a controversial ban on stag-hunting.

The stag hunting legislation, which sparked furious rows in the Dáil over recent weeks, was narrowly pushed through by a majority of 75 to 71 votes.

The Dáil now enters its 12-week summer recess, not due to return until September 29. It sat for 100 days between September last year and today.

The Seanad will continue in session next week while Oireachtas Committees will sit throughout the recess, with 88 meetings due to be held.

Cork South West Fianna Fáil TD, Christy O'Sullivan, who had previously voiced strong concerns about the legislation, welcomed the amendments.

“I’m happy with the text of the legislation that has now gone through the Dáil and that is why I supported it,” he said.

“There were a lot of changes needed to the previously published Bill, however following a meeting with the Taoiseach, officials from his Department and the Department of the Environment as well as a delegation from the Hunting Association of Ireland (HAI), we have now reached a fair outcome.”

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Its all in writing but will it be enforced, especialy puppy farms?? To many unhealthy dogs are shipped out across the world and go for big money. Some only survive a few weeks. Them that do survive would be bred again and pass on any genitic disorders due to over breeding and unhealthy living conditions.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down