Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Danger of Driving with Dogs by Dr john

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Danger of Driving with Dogs by Dr john Empty The Danger of Driving with Dogs by Dr john

Post by celticpitbulls Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Dogs love to go for car rides. For many dogs, their favorite words are "bye-bye". I've seen dogs jump, prance, smile and bark with delight at the thought of a car ride. How many times have you seen dogs hanging out the car window? Or on the owners lap looking as happy as can be?

Yes, going for a ride in the car can be fun, but driving with dogs can also be very dangerous to both you and your dog. I recently talked to some owners that were in an accident – caused by their dog – in which they were injured, the car they hit had some severe injuries and their dog was killed. How tragic!

There are some very common dangers and causes of injuries that can be prevented – and if you understand them, it will help keep you and your dog safe.

1. Jumpers – Many dogs love to hang out windows and watch what goes by, enjoying the feel of the air in their hair.

Some dogs will jump out of an open car window, even though their owners would have sworn they would never do that. One day – for some reason – something extra excites them and out they go. I've seen everything from mild injuries and abrasions to fractures and even death resulting from dogs jumping into traffic and immediately being hit by another car. For every dog that jumps, the owners say the same thing. "He always rides like that – and never jumped before."

2. Air and eye injuries – Some dogs that hang their head out of an open car window can obtain injures when things that are flying in the air hit their head or eyes. When these objects hit the dog's eyes it can cause corneal ulcers and injuries.

3.Airbags – Dogs can be severely (even fatally) injured by airbag deployment. For this reason, many dog seats and harnesses are created for use in the back seat.

4.Distraction – Dogs distract drivers. I've seen excited dogs on their owner's lap moving back and forth from the passenger window to the drivers' window. For one reason or another, they distract their drivers causing an accident. The driver looks at their dog to see what they are doing and wham!

5.Slowed reaction time – With a dog on your lap, your ability to drive and react quickly is impaired. Drivers are often unable to make a quick turn with their dog on their lap. This is a common cause of accidents.

6.Injury in crashes – Pets can be severely injured in crashes and, when they are unrestrained, they can run out of the car and suffer even more injuries. Some have even run away.

7.Foot petal problems – Some dogs (and cats) love to get down by the floor, under the seat or near the foot petals. I've seen several cases where this caused crashes.

Pets riding unrestrained in a vehicle may be cute and fun – until an accident happens. Less than 20% of dog owners use some sort of harness or seat belt to restrain their dog while in a car.

Seat belts and car seats are especially made to keep dogs safe. We recommend that all dogs be restrained in the back seat during car rides. All pets should have a microchip as well in case they get free during a car ride. Windows should be kept at a lowered point so the dog can get air but can not get their head completely out the window – thus preventing eye injuries and any risk of jumping.
Keep your dog safe.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Danger of Driving with Dogs by Dr john Empty Re: The Danger of Driving with Dogs by Dr john

Post by pitties rule Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:46 pm

great post.... i see lots of dogs bouncing around cars.... at the moment i have two soft leads tied to the head rests for when im bringing the pups out but when there abit bigger im getting them both a harness with a loop on it to put thru the seat belt.
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

The Danger of Driving with Dogs by Dr john Empty Re: The Danger of Driving with Dogs by Dr john

Post by Harry Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:05 pm

the EzyDog harness, is the shizzle.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

harness for car
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:48 pm

I recently read something about an American who was transporting a APBT from 2 differant states.

The dog was a known Man Biter, and with in a few seconds he had ripped his way out of the Crate, he sat in the back for about 2hours of the 5hour trip. Then he started going off again, the driver had to rub his balls for the 3hours of the journey and drive with the other one.

lol!

He could have done with a harness :L
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:51 pm

ah hahahahahaha yeah but he prob would have chewed his way thru that too
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:51 pm

It makes me sick sometimes, i know i had no right to do this. I was out on my bike, i noticed a dog up in the back window of a car. The drivers rear view was obstructed, bad enough at that. If she had an accident, the dog would have been catapulted into the back of her head, because of the laws of pyshics due to more leavarge the further back in the car you are. I knocked on her window at the traffic lights, i felt a bit embarrassed afterwards but i bet that played on her mind affraid
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 pm

fair play to ya eamo.... i see it all the time.... best of all dog lying at back window.... thats why i have the leads tied to the head rest so they cant jump around and hit me in the mallet if there was an accident
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:58 pm

To be honest i wish there was a Garda there, im sure she would listen to him more than me. Its even illegal to carry tools in your car, you have to carry them in your boot. Now we know why, but who am i, some saftey expert lol!
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:09 pm

heard a story about dogs that where killed because of exhaust fumes from being in the boot.... kinda turned me off putting them in there and not to sure if it would be safe in a saloon
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:19 pm

i was driving home from the last walk we had, butch sits in the fount of my car, driving down summer hill and i could see these kids were not looking where they were going , just as i thought this the 3 of them just ran out on the road, i jammed on and butch nearly went true the windscreen, i have learned my lesson that lots of the time its other people on the road that can cause accidents no matter how good a driver we are..
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 pm

god i say ya got the fright of ur life
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:27 pm

So imagine if he was up on the back window like that dog i seen. It doesnt make us bad owners, i blame the R.S.A. for not introducing saftey requirements on carrying pets. As for the boot, i'd only put an animal in the boot if behind the back seat was open. Like the way Caroline has Angel. But even she isnt restraint either affraid
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 pm

think ill go with the safety harness at least if anything did happen i know there not gonna fly around the car
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:22 am

all good points this is a good post on a subject that is otherwise overlooked....

on a lighter note, its also not a good idea to let your dogs drive the car i've learned from experience, they have trouble changing gears other then that their fairly good at the whole driving thing hahahaha
slattery9104
slattery9104

http://www.christopherslattery.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:56 am

I was in the car with Lilly last week, going to the Good Citizen Dog Class's. I was in the back with Butch. Lilly just jumped out to open the gate, the car was still running. She was very observent and aware of any possible dangers. She said to me, dont let Butch hit off the gear stick. It didnt dawn on me until later, why she said it. Im normaly quick to point out if something isnt safe. I was totaly oblivious, to this all because i had Butch in beside me. Fairplay Lil, for making me more aware of these little things that could blow into some big accident. The moral of the story is, never leave a dog in a running car unattended. Not even for a minute.
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

yup i agree eamo as i said in my previous post they have trouble with the gears i think its got to do with the whole no aposable thumb thing hahah

serious tho thats something nearly everyone would overlook and it's one of the smallest things that would cause a big accident
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:38 pm

This is what ya want, throw dem into da back of da transit....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Harold even in a van, they still have to be restraint, you sit in the back of a van with no seats, seatbelt, grab rail etc. Im sure you would be thrown around the van. You didnt buty that Transit did you Laughing
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:20 pm

no, dat noble buss ther is mine boss ja wanta buy it boss? much ya gimmie?? lol
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:20 pm

lol! Chris got it anyway :L
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by pitties rule Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:44 pm

harry is that ur motor........... nice........lol
pitties rule
pitties rule

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:11 pm

It just needs a horse to pull it, it will only be one horse power lol!
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:33 pm

This is where I do my driving... just 2 more years :D

Untill...........

Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by eamo s Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Is that a Dutch reg? the Starlet arent a bad car, the wheels are a bit 80's lol. Is this forum cha nging to cars now lol!
eamo s
eamo s
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next