Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW

+2
slattery9104
celticpitbulls
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW Empty CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:55 am

Information

Under the Control of Dogs Act 1986 as amended by the Control of Dogs (Amendment) Act 1992 all local authorities in Ireland are responsible for the control of dogs. Local authorities have the power to appoint dog wardens, provide dog shelters, seize dogs, impose on-the-spot fines and take court proceedings against owners.

Local authorities may enter into agreements with each other to provide dog wardens and dog shelters in your area. Some local authorities may enter into agreements with the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ISPCA) or, with permission from the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, a person or organisation connected with animal welfare to provide these services in your area.

You are liable for injury or damage caused by your dog to people or livestock.

You can be disqualified from keeping a dog if you have been convicted of cruelty to a dog under the Protection of Animals Acts 1911 and 1965.

Rules
Dog Licences

In order to obtain a dog licence, you must be over 16 years of age. It is an offence for you to keep a dog unless you have a licence. All dogs over four months must have a licence. Puppies under four months who are still with their mothers don't require licences but once they leave their mothers they must have a licence. Your dog must be accompanied by and be under your effective control or the control of another responsible person if it is outside your home or premises or the home or premises of the person in charge of it. You can be requested by a dog warden to produce evidence of your dog licence and failure to do so can result in an on-the-spot fine. Failure to pay this fine within a specified period can result in prosecution by your local authority. Licences are not required for dogs in the possession of the County Council, the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Gardaí, blind persons' guide-dogs, and any dog imported into the State for less than 30 days.

Dog licences are issued by your post office or your local authority. The revenue from dog licences finances the operation of dog control services in local areas throughout the country.
Dog Identification

Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc. Failure to have identification on a dog can result in an on-the-spot fine issued by a dog warden. Failure to pay this fine within a specific period can result in prosecution by your local authority.
Stray Dogs

Stray dogs are dogs that are in a public place and are not accompanied by the owner or a responsible person. Dogs that are not under proper control are also considered stray dogs. You can receive an on-the-spot fine if your dog is not under proper control. Stray dogs may be seized by the dog warden and the Gardaí and brought to the local dog pound. These dogs may be put down or disposed of if their owners do not claim them within 5 days. If your dog has strayed or is missing, you should contact the local dog pound directly to check whether or not your dog has been picked up. Before you pick up your dog, you will have to pay a re-claim fee and produce a current dog licence. If you do not have a current dog licence, you must obtain one from your local post office before collecting your dog.
Unwanted dogs

Unwanted dogs should be brought to the dog pound where they are accepted free of charge. Local authorities have the power to accept unwanted dogs and destroy or dispose of them if they are not rehomed.
Dog Wardens

Dog wardens have the power to request the name and address of a person suspected of an offence under the Control of Dogs Act. They also have the power to seize and detain any dog and to enter any premises, other than a residence with 5 or more dogs, to seize and detain a dog. You are guilty of an offence and can be arrested by a Garda if you obstruct a dog warden in the course of his or her work, refuse to give your name and address or give a false name and address.
Bye-laws

Many local authorities have introduced bye-laws to indicate areas where dogs must be kept on a leash or even prohibited. Your local authority will be able to inform you of the bye-laws that apply in your area. Breaches of these bye-laws relating to dogs in your area can result in fines on summary conviction.
Dog Faeces

Under new litter laws (Section 22 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997), it is an offence to allow a dog under your control to foul a public place. This means the owner/person in charge of the dog is required under this law to remove dog faeces and dispose of it in a suitable, sanitary manner. You can make a complaint to the District Court under the litter laws against an owner or someone in charge of a dog who allows that dog to foul public places and who fails to act responsibly. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form available from the Dog Control Unit of your local authority. You can read more about litter laws in Ireland here.
Barking Dogs

Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. Your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. These forms are available from your local authority.
Guard dogs

A guard dog used at a non-residential business premises must be either accompanied by a handler or secured so that it cannot roam freely around the premises or escape.

A notice informing the public that a guard dog is on the premises must be displayed at the entrance.

The guard dog must wear a collar displaying the name and address of its owner.

The guard dog must carry an electronic implant containing a permanent identification mark given to the dog by the ISPCA. This implant must be inserted by or under the direct supervision of a veterinary surgeon authorised by the ISPCA. The dog owner is responsible for the cost involved in inserting the implant.

Kennels where more than 5 guard dogs, aged over 4 months are kept must register with the local authority. You should be aware that there are specific rules in place regarding the keeping of guard dogs in Ireland. You can read more about these rules here: SI 329/1989: Control of Dogs Act 1986 (Guard Dog) Regulations 1989
Rules relating to certain breeds of dog

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (S.I. No. 442 of 1998) impose additional rules in relation to the following breeds (and strains/cross-breeds) of dog in Ireland:

* American Pit Bull Terrier
* English Bull Terrier
* Staffordshire Bull Terrier
* Bull Mastiff
* Dobermann Pinscher
* German Shepherd (Alsatian)
* Rhodesian Ridgeback
* Rottweiler
* Japanese Akita
* Japanese Tosa
* Bandog

The rules state that:

* These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
* These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
* These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.

The rules on muzzling and leashing do not apply to dogs used by the Gardaí, the Dublin Harbour Police, State Airport Police and bona fide rescue teams in rescue operations. The rules on muzzling do not apply to guide dogs for the blind.
Penalties

Your local authority has the power to introduce bye-laws relating to dog control in your area. You should be aware that the penalties listed below are a guide; fines in your area may be higher.
Offence Fines Penalty
No dog licence On-the-spot fine: €30 payable to your local authority Failure to pay on-the-spot fines can lead to prosecution in District Court with a maximum fine of €1904.61 and/or 3 months imprisonment
No identification on dog On-the-spot fine: €30 payable to your local authority. Failure to pay on-the-spot fines can lead to prosecution in District Court with a maximum fine of €1904.61 and/or 3 months imprisonment
Stray dog Dog pound re-claim fee of €20. Charge of €8 for every night dog is in pound. The pound will hold a dog for at least 5 days. Dogs not re-claimed from the dog pound within 5 days may be put down/disposed of.
Dog not kept under control On-the-spot fine of €30 payable to your local authority Failure to pay on-the-spot fines can lead to prosecution in District Court with a maximum fine of €1904.61 and/or 3 months imprisonment
Breach of bye-laws (setting out times when dog may be unleashed in public) Fines up to €1,904.61 on conviction.
Dog fouling public place Owners/handlers who do not dispose of dog faeces in a responsible manner may receive an on-the-spot fine of €150. Failure to pay on-the-spot fines can lead to prosecution in District Court with a maximum fine of €3,000 and €600 per day for continuing offences on Summary Conviction

Rates

Individual dog licence costs €12.70 and is valid for one year.

A general dog licence costs €253.95.
How to apply

You can obtain an individual or general dog licence at your local post office or local authority anywhere in the country.
Where To Apply

Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Line 1:
National Animal Centre
Line 2:
Derryglogher Lodge
Line 3:
Keenagh
County:
Longford
IRELAND
Tel:
+353 (0)43 25035
Fax:
+353 (0)43 25024
Homepage:
http://www.ispca.ie/
Email:
info@ispca.ie
Wheelchair Access:

Last Updated: 08/04/2008
Subject Terms: animal health and welfare
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW Empty Re: CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:02 pm

lilly do you know if the same rules for restricted dogs apply to an amstaff?
slattery9104
slattery9104

http://www.christopherslattery.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:18 pm

I think so its any breed crossed with the above!

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 pm

slattery9104 wrote:lilly do you know if the same rules for restricted dogs apply to an amstaff?

It doesn't say so on the law bill, so you have a good chance that they can't make you put a muzzle on. Unless he/she is a public menace.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 pm

(or strains and crosses of them) Amstaff Is A Cross With Staffy. So Yes It Would Apply To Them.

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:47 pm

amstaffs aren't crosses tho there a full breed and a registered breed thats why i asked amstaffs apbt and staffs are seperate breeds
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 pm

I'd ask your local Garda Sichaloney :) Tell them some owl spiel about them being totally differnant from Pitbulls or something lol.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:23 pm

ah there all a pain in the local station the 3 of em live on my road and dont really like me too much Sad havin't a clue why tho Razz wel maby i have a little idea hahahah i'l just muzzle him anyway and keep em shut up he's a full pit but gona tell most people he's an amstaff so i dont get all the bulls**t speaches you no yourself lol
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Yeah Your Better Off Having Him Muzzled. If You've No Way Off Saying Its A Amstaff Etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:55 pm

The rules on muzzling and leashing do not apply to dogs used by the Gardaí, the Dublin Harbour Police, State Airport Police and bona fide rescue teams in rescue operations. The rules on muzzling do not apply to guide dogs for the blind.

I Dont Agree With This. For Example A German Shepard Is Born A German Shephard, Not German Shepard Garda Dog! Its Labled As Soon As It Is Born A German Shepard & It Is on The List. A Garda Dog Or Rescue Is Just As Dangerous As A Pet Dog. Is A Wolf At Heart At The End Off The Day

Yes I Agree With Guide Dogs Part.

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:42 pm

the thing about the gardai and other policing dogs is they need to be off lead, sniffer dogs have a better chance of findin something off lead as the can cover more ground and a lead holds them back and may distract them also the attack dogs etc are just that attack dogs so there left off lead when they are needed to do there jov but most times you'll see there on a lead i walk out the bank most days and theres a guard that walks his gsd not on duty and the dog is never muzzeled i think when the dog is not working they should be made abide by the same rules
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:49 pm

slattery9104 wrote:amstaffs aren't crosses tho there a full breed and a registered breed thats why i asked amstaffs apbt and staffs are seperate breeds

thats true, These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) pit bulls, am staffs staffs, English bull etc have all along the line came from the same strains, others meaning crosses would mean like if you had a lab x pit then he/she would also be on the list as he/she is crossed with a restricted breed.

so yeah chris you would be targeted even though the name am staff isn't there the breed is a strain of some the listed breeds.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:51 pm

GoldenBoy wrote:I'd ask your local Garda Sichaloney :) Tell them some owl spiel about them being totally differnant from Pitbulls or something lol.
Harry as a mod i think your advice could be a little more responsible!
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:54 pm

was only wondering anyway i'l have him muzzeled. not going to give any one anything to complain about i'm gettin grief as it is about getting one but thats people opinoin and in my opinion the can all stick there "killer pitbull stories" where the sun don't shine :D lol! going extending the hight of my dog pen and thinkin about putting a roof on it just dont want anything to happen
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 pm

yup i think its good old fashioned racism against the pitbull breed
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:08 pm

slattery9104 wrote:was only wondering anyway i'l have him muzzeled. not going to give any one anything to complain about i'm gettin grief as it is about getting one but thats people opinoin and in my opinion the can all stick there "killer pitbull stories" where the sun don't shine :D lol! going extending the hight of my dog pen and thinkin about putting a roof on it just dont want anything to happen

fair play Chris, the best advice i can give is that you start growing some thick skin now coz your in for some eye balling and maybe a little stick every now and again lol! raise a good well mannered dog and when you come up against the uneducated hold your head and educate in a calm assertive manner! lol
And if you need any help from this end well you know all you got to do is ask :D
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:11 pm

ah i've a thick skin when it comes to people saying stuff they can say anythin they want about me but its a diff story if they ever said something about my dog lol i'm going to train my boy and get a trainer to do some work with him too also plan on doing the good citizen dog test if they do it over here. i want to do my best to help the breed the dogs cant talk so we have to be there voice :) cheers lil i'm sure i'l need advice some where along the line your the first i'll ask
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:19 pm

good citizen dog test? i can sort that out for you my mate has put lots of bully breeds true it.. would be great to have him as our mascot wouldn't it?????????
maybe????? Razz
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:21 pm

yeah definately! i'd love to do it i want him to be an ambassidor for the bully breed would be great if you could help out lil i'v looked up it online but couldn't find much info about it in ireland
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:28 pm

Dublin dog training look no further! i know john will be setting up some classes down your way soon. he's an amazing trainer he was doing our last classes b4 we had to move out, he's over 30 years involved also in rescue. This is the guy that will be giving us a dig out along with ray h on the board.
http://www.dublindogtraining.com /
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 pm

cool just looking at the site now sound lil :)
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:32 pm

im not responsible for the music by the way lol
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 pm

cool vid and the music is cool hahah proper hi didel di dee music lol!
slattery9104
slattery9104

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:40 pm

lol stop i nearly died when i heard it haha but angel worked very well in obeisance and obeisance is very important when entering comps etc, but thats another topic i don't want to hijack this 1
:)
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:29 am

BootsPitty wrote:The rules on muzzling and leashing do not apply to dogs used by the Gardaí, the Dublin Harbour Police, State Airport Police and bona fide rescue teams in rescue operations. The rules on muzzling do not apply to guide dogs for the blind.

I Dont Agree With This. For Example A German Shepard Is Born A German Shephard, Not German Shepard Garda Dog! Its Labled As Soon As It Is Born A German Shepard & It Is on The List. A Garda Dog Or Rescue Is Just As Dangerous As A Pet Dog. Is A Wolf At Heart At The End Off The Day

Yes I Agree With Guide Dogs Part.

Why do you agree with " Guide Dogs Part"? When on a list drawn up by the Irish guide dogs of most commonly used breeds contains German Shepherd!!!
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next