Ireland's Pit Bull Terrier Association (IPBTA)
Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello and welcome to IPBTA,
Promoting responsible dog ownership along with providing athletic k9 sporting events that suit all our types of dogs.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW

+2
slattery9104
celticpitbulls
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW - Page 2 Empty Re: CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW

Post by Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:19 am

i never put a muzzle on never will. i not going to put 1 on just coz iv a pit when i see a bull mastif a few rotties a million staffs every dog on the list

before ye al get in a hissy fit i walk up a moutain 99% of the time only other ting up there is grass and trees only time i walk trew the town is to got get milk

german sheperds dont have to were a mussle as it has a job its trained to chase and catch ya if ya run how can it lock on if it has a muzzle and before ya go it shouldnt lock on if ya need to run from the shades ya desirve to get bitten.

y would a guide dog need a mussle some are trained to open drawers and stuff and open doors cant do that with a muzzle

pple should stop including dogs that have a job in thre list ya its a pain to need things but ya new that before ya got the dog ya have

Back to top Go down

CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW - Page 2 Empty Re: CONTROL OF DOGS ACT/KNOW THE LAW

Post by Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 pm

YENALED1 wrote:
BootsPitty wrote:The rules on muzzling and leashing do not apply to dogs used by the Gardaí, the Dublin Harbour Police, State Airport Police and bona fide rescue teams in rescue operations. The rules on muzzling do not apply to guide dogs for the blind.

I Dont Agree With This. For Example A German Shepard Is Born A German Shephard, Not German Shepard Garda Dog! Its Labled As Soon As It Is Born A German Shepard & It Is on The List. A Garda Dog Or Rescue Is Just As Dangerous As A Pet Dog. Is A Wolf At Heart At The End Off The Day

Yes I Agree With Guide Dogs Part.

Why do you agree with " Guide Dogs Part"? When on a list drawn up by the Irish guide dogs of most commonly used breeds contains German Shepherd!!!

I Agree With The Guide Dogs Part Because These Dogs Are Needed In A Blind Persons Life To Live & Get Around. You Can Except A Blind Person Too Walk Down The Road With A Muzzled Dog Beause That Dog Needs His/Her Mouth To Warn The Blind Person Off Any Dangers/Pick Things Up Etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:39 pm

The IKC do that Canine Good Citizen thing, you have to go through a local club though. It says it on their website.

P.S. Be warned the IKC is IMO the worst site in the world! There's page links but nothing in them Sad
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by slattery9104 Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:48 pm

cheers GB but it'll be awhile before i do that anyway so no sweat i'm sure it'l be easy enough to sort out
slattery9104
slattery9104

http://www.christopherslattery.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:53 pm

It tells u what to he has to do :) I tested Bobby and he passed :D
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:13 pm

asti rs wrote:i never put a muzzle on never will. i not going to put 1 on just coz iv a pit when i see a bull mastif a few rotties a million staffs every dog on the list

before ye al get in a hissy fit i walk up a moutain 99% of the time only other ting up there is grass and trees only time i walk trew the town is to got get milk

german sheperds dont have to were a mussle as it has a job its trained to chase and catch ya if ya run how can it lock on if it has a muzzle and before ya go it shouldnt lock on if ya need to run from the shades ya desirve to get bitten.

y would a guide dog need a mussle some are trained to open drawers and stuff and open doors cant do that with a muzzle

pple should stop including dogs that have a job in thre list ya its a pain to need things but ya new that before ya got the dog ya have

at the end of the day we can all only be responsible for our own dogs, if you don't put a muzzle on your dog than thats completely up to you, it is the law regardless who obeys it,, its also unfair and very true that when owning restricted breeds that we understand that if my dogs get into trouble everybody owning these breeds will too. i dont only put a muzzle on because of the law my reason is that if my dog gets attacked by another dog being bully breeds they will retaliate, at least he cant retaliate and there for regardless of what dog started it my dog wont be blamed for killing a dog even though he never started it.i wouldn't put my dogs into that situation and maybe loosing them into the bargen. my dogs mean more to me than the law so really i cant make people obey the act its not up to me to enforce it, but i obey it myself for the safety of my own dogs..
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:32 pm

but as i said i walk up a mountian 99% of the time and only other time there is another dog is coz i brought it so there is a slim chance of something ever happen up there im lucky in that way iv over 600acres to walk. i agree if i lived were there was a poo load of dogs yes i would i would put 1 on but i moved so i could have more free dom and not have to muzzle them thats y i said ill never muzzle them.

you are correct they brush us all with the same brush some thing happens in donegal ill feel it down hear kinda thing

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:02 pm

BootsPitty wrote:
YENALED1 wrote:
BootsPitty wrote:The rules on muzzling and leashing do not apply to dogs used by the Gardaí, the Dublin Harbour Police, State Airport Police and bona fide rescue teams in rescue operations. The rules on muzzling do not apply to guide dogs for the blind.

I Dont Agree With This. For Example A German Shepard Is Born A German Shephard, Not German Shepard Garda Dog! Its Labled As Soon As It Is Born A German Shepard & It Is on The List. A Garda Dog Or Rescue Is Just As Dangerous As A Pet Dog. Is A Wolf At Heart At The End Off The Day

Why do you agree with " Guide Dogs Part"? When on a list drawn up by the Irish guide dogs of most commonly used breeds contains German Shepherd!!!

I Agree With The Guide Dogs Part Because These Dogs Are Needed In A Blind Persons Life To Live & Get Around. You Can Except A Blind Person Too Walk Down The Road With A Muzzled Dog Beause That Dog Needs His/Her Mouth To Warn The Blind Person Off Any Dangers/Pick Things Up Etc.

you are only contradicting yourself if a German shepherd is used by the guide dogs for the blind it is I quote" a German shepherd is born a German shepherd not a German Shepherd Guide Dog. It is immature and futile to even suggest these dogs used by the forces and rescue organisations use muzzles. All these dogs are highly trained and are doing their community a great service. I am not picking on you when I say that some of the remarks made regarding who does or does not muzzle their dogs when out; seem to be getting back at the authorities for their decision on the rules made in 1998. I mean come on lets face it the guy that said he will never put a muzzle on because he spends 99% of the time up a mountain, should bloody stay up there with an attitude like that.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Is Said A German Shepard Is A German Shepard ..Not A German Shepard GARDA Dog. I Never Said Guide Dog. But The Goverment Made The Law & Are Abusing It Themselfs By Using German Shepards WITH Out Muzzles.
Some Of These Other Dogs That Are Listed In The List Could Be 'Highly Trained' But Still Have To Were Muzzles When Out.They Could Have Top Certificates To Say They Are No1 Trained Dog Or Whatever But In The End Of THe Day They Are On The List

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:06 pm

BootsPitty wrote:Is Said A German Shepard Is A German Shepard ..Not A German Shepard GARDA Dog. I Never Said Guide Dog. But The Goverment Made The Law & Are Abusing It Themselfs By Using German Shepards WITH Out Muzzles.
Some Of These Other Dogs That Are Listed In The List Could Be 'Highly Trained' But Still Have To Were Muzzles When Out.They Could Have Top Certificates To Say They Are No1 Trained Dog Or Whatever But In The End Of THe Day They Are On The List
You said A German shepherd is labelled as soon as it is born, and yet you seem to feel these dogs used for guide dogs should be exempt. thats a contradiction.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Yes A Guide Dog Is Needed For A Blind Person Be Be Able To Live Without Much Hassle. Garda Dont Need A Dog For Defence Or Drugsniffing. They Are Well Able To Do It Without . Like When A Garda Dog Is Lunging At You Because You Did Something Wrong And If Its One Of THe Breeds Mentioned On The List That Still Gives Off The Wrong Impression And A Drugsniffing Dog Is Going To Bring The Drugs To You In His/Her Mouth He/She Will Bark Or Sit When She/He Find Anything. They Can Still Wear A Muzzle & A Leash To Do That.

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 pm

BootsPitty wrote:Yes A Guide Dog Is Needed For A Blind Person Be Be Able To Live Without Much Hassle. Garda Dont Need A Dog For Defence Or Drugsniffing. They Are Well Able To Do It Without . Like When A Garda Dog Is Lunging At You Because You Did Something Wrong And If Its One Of THe Breeds Mentioned On The List That Still Gives Off The Wrong Impression And A Drugsniffing Dog Is Going To Bring The Drugs To You In His/Her Mouth He/She Will Bark Or Sit When She/He Find Anything. They Can Still Wear A Muzzle & A Leash To Do That.

Yes i could just picture a member of the Garda down on his hand and knees trying to pick up the scent of a criminal or the bag of coke stuffed under the floorboards, or one of the drug squad officers at a busy airport smelling a couple of thousand suitcases looking for contraband. It is vital to our communities safety that these dogs are let get on with their jobs. I have such admiration for these animals and would hate to hinder them in their work.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 pm

i don't think any breed should have to wear a muzzle by law, i think an owner should be sensible enough to know their dog and if any signs of aggression is showing to ether humans or dogs then they should have the common knowledge to make their dog wear a muzzle when going out regardless of what breeds they own and seek professional help to sort out the problem as the dog wasn't born like that!, we all know here as dogs owners that any breed from the smallest to the largest of breeds have the capability to attack and really hurt or kill some1 and for that reason alone the owner should be held responsible for their dogs actions and not base the attack on breed, but i will say to owners of the bully breeds, i have owned the breeds for quite some time now, and even though some pit bulls and staffys etc are of stable mind we must always remember what their origin is and if taunted they will retaliate and the out come can cost you your dogs life, thats 1 of the main reasons i use muzzles for mine even if the possibility's is small of meeting other dogs, once there's a possibility then you have to be careful., as i always say and you guys know this, the bully breeds will always get the blame even if he didn't start it! another problem i found with this legislation is.. 1 of the most important part of a dogs life is to explore the world by walking, running,meeting other dogs and sniffing their butts, and most of all socializing. these laws prevent a lot of the most important things to have a stable dog, another reason why BSL causes problems and does nothing at all to keep the public any safer in the last 16 years or more.
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Thu May 06, 2010 10:09 pm

So let's get this straight, Bulldogs aren't on this list? American or otherwise.

1 other thing, it says Bandog but that is a Pitbull x Mastiff (Neo or Bull usually) So that doesn't need to be on the list.
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 07, 2010 9:20 am

they're not all traied right though. 2 days ago Roxy got attacked by a blind mans dog. see him cling onto that handle thing!!! he got his dog under control though. untill another dog walked past and he lunged at him too
YENALED1 wrote:
BootsPitty wrote:
YENALED1 wrote:

you are only contradicting yourself if a German shepherd is used by the guide dogs for the blind it is I quote" a German shepherd is born a German shepherd not a German Shepherd Guide Dog. It is immature and futile to even suggest these dogs used by the forces and rescue organisations use muzzles. All these dogs are highly trained and are doing their community a great service. I am not picking on you when I say that some of the remarks made regarding who does or does not muzzle their dogs when out; seem to be getting back at the authorities for their decision on the rules made in 1998. I mean come on lets face it the guy that said he will never put a muzzle on because he spends 99% of the time up a mountain, should bloody stay up there with an attitude like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri May 07, 2010 10:15 am

No Harry bulldog types are not on the list. There is a very important point to consider its the notes at the end of the list, strains and crosses of them. To me that means that any of these dogs crossed with English/american bulldogs would have to conform to the rules. Now there would be allot of debate trying to prove the crosses in dogs but I know of cases in the UK where dogs are taken of the owners for up to six months while an evaluation would be carried out. Don't know exactly what this would entail but it must be a traumatic time for the owners. Regarding the Bandog basically this is a type of mastiff. According to a book I have written in 1900, a dog similar in type to a mastiff was used for bear and lion baiting in the 8th century. and some would say that this was a type of bandog. There is no evidence to suggest that these dogs are crosses of 2 specific breeds, but is has been suggested that back in the mid 1500 they were mastiff types crossed with English bulldogs it could be that in todays society people breed a pit x mastiff and call it a bandog. As far as I know it is only recognised by the ukc. I would think that this breeds pedigree if any is fairly new.

I suspect that the wording at the end of the list (strains and crosses of) is there to cover are governments backs. a while ago i was reading up on this act and found that certain county council lists differed. Have been meaning to write asking them why?.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 am

colm wrote:they're not all traied right though. 2 days ago Roxy got attacked by a blind mans dog. see him cling onto that handle thing!!! he got his dog under control though. untill another dog walked past and he lunged at him too
YENALED1 wrote:
BootsPitty wrote:
YENALED1 wrote:

Well Colm i am sure this is a rare occurrence but it seems that the dog is not suitable for the job or handler. You didnt mention what breed it was so I am assuming it was a GSD. We all know that every breed is capable of this and once again human error contributed to what could of been a dangerous situation.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Fri May 07, 2010 10:42 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2lOrcdndM4

^ That's a Dogue De Bourdeaux X American Bulldog = Bandog

(I was wrong above it can be any bull-breed)
Harry
Harry

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri May 07, 2010 11:26 am

GoldenBoy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2lOrcdndM4

I have since checked and found that the Bandog is not registered with the ukc. I can only conclude that in todays society a Bandog is the product of crosses between bullbreeds, Dogues, mastiffs etc. Having Bandogs on the list could refer to hundreds of types. surely at the end of the day if they are cross bred dogs they are what some people would call mongrels or mutts.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YENALED Fri May 07, 2010 11:31 am

YENALED1 wrote:

I have since checked and found that the Bandog is not registered with the ukc. I can only conclude that in todays society a Bandog is the product of crosses between bullbreeds, Dogues, mastiffs etc. Having Bandogs on the list could refer to hundreds of types. surely at the end of the day if they are cross bred dogs they are what some people would call mongrels or mutts.

It would appear that the name Bandog is today used instead of the term protection dog. If thats the case any dog that is trained to protect, should abide by BSL laws when out in public. That could open up a debate that would last forever and potentially put every breed known to man on the list.
YENALED
YENALED
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 07, 2010 12:22 pm

sorry i ment to specify...believe it or not it was a labrador! very rare occurance and i certainly didnt expect it! i reckon it was down to the way he was handled as the fella didnt look to good at the other end of the leash.

i always thaught a bandog was any cross or strain of any banned dog on the list?

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri May 07, 2010 12:55 pm

YENALED1 wrote:
YENALED1 wrote:

It would appear that the name Bandog is today used instead of the term protection dog. If thats the case any dog that is trained to protect, should abide by BSL laws when out in public. That could open up a debate that would last forever and potentially put every breed known to man on the list.

it does state that all strains/crosses of these dogs that includes the "bandog", so if your dog is crossed with a " bandog" what ever that is then your dog is on the restricted breed list even though the ban dog is not a pure breed and nobody has the expertise to do a breed id on such a mix number 1 if they don't even know what a bandog is and number 2 only the breeder can tell you that if he even knows himself, the truth is that this control of dogs act was ill thought out in the first place by people with no knowledge whats so ever about dogs,, there are so many different opinions on what a ban dog is and to be honest if their was 1 standing in front of us it would look and is what you say a mut/mongrel!

as a mut/mongrel for obvious reasons can not be registered as a pure breed, if you ring and ask them what a ban dog is you wont get an answer coz they don't know themselves and how can they determine what breed/breeds are in this "ban dog" in order to have such a breed stated as banned/restricted? or is this just a way of saying look we can call any dog what we want and take it just because it happened's to look a particular way?
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 07, 2010 1:04 pm

some laws we have to be proud of. a dog that nobody knows is restricted?? people i meet dont even know what breeds of dog i have and they be rubbing them away. then they ask what are they, there georgous. i tell them and they jump back??? i'm like...you were rubbing them and they were licking you 2 mins ago!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by celticpitbulls Fri May 07, 2010 1:12 pm

lol i think all bully owners have gone true that 1 colm, i remember 1 time a girl came over to me while i was out walking molly, she was loving her and was nearly on the ground getting licks, as she got up and we got chatting she started to bang on about pit bulls and i said noting, when she stopped banning on i asked what she thought of molly? she said she'd love to take her home that's when i said.. she's a pit bull lol she couldn't believe it and now today she wont let any1 say a word about them. i have had lady's nearly put their kids out under cars so they don't have to walk by me and my dog, my dog is doing nothing only walking next to me, Rolling Eyes
celticpitbulls
celticpitbulls
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 07, 2010 1:17 pm

when my staffy was 4 months old people used to cross the road so they dont have to go past her! at 4 months old she was tiny! u seen how small she is now at nearly 2 years old. needless to say it stil happens. i used to take it very personnaly but i'v grown to just ignore peoples ignorance. if they show interest i'l inform them of the good and the bad. the worst i can think of is that they get over excited and too friendly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next